Help me choose please

Reaction score
Ok, I'm on Apple's website here and I'm trying to choose an iMac. My choices are between the 20" 2.0 GHz iMac or the 20" 2.4 GHz iMac.

My dilemna is I'm not sure if this extra .4 Ghz is really worth it? What would you guys think? I'm wanting 2 GB of RAM and Final Cut, and the 2.4 GHz model with these options, pushes the total over $2000. Meanwhile, the 2.0 GHz model is below $1700. Is it really worth it, and I'm on a budget and I don't really want the higher model unless the extra .4 GHz makes a big difference in performance.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
The 2.4 has more than just a .4ghz faster speed. It has a larger HD, better video card, etc. I'd recommend the 2.4Ghz model.

Reaction score
Id wait until they get the screen freeze issue worked out or get a dell. I have to restart my iMac about 4 times a day due to freezing. Ive only had it 20 days and its done it since I bought it. I was told it would be fixed with a software update. It wasnt. Tomorrow will be my third trip to the apple store to have it looked at.

Maybe your will be fine but if it freezes once in the first 15 days take it back !! Dont be like me and let them tell you the update will fix it.

OP
V
Reaction score
Another 100GB is nothing. That 250GB the 2.0 GHz comes with, is great to me. My current hard drive is 100GB with 20 GB free.

As for the video card, is it THAT much greater that I need to spend $300 more on? It's a 2400 against a 2600, I don't see the need in my eyes.

If I got the 2.4 GHz model, then I wouldn't be able to get the extra gig of RAM. Which I think is more important than a video card that's just the next model up from the 2400.

Reaction score
My choices are between the 20" 2.0 GHz iMac or the 20" 2.4 GHz iMac.

Is it really worth it, and I'm on a budget and I don't really want the higher model unless the extra .4 GHz makes a big difference in performance.

To answer your question Vots, if you are on a tight budget then don't spend an extra $300+ on .4 GHz. Spend it on upping the RAM and enjoy!

IMHO, I highly doubt it if that extra .4 GHz is going to make your day.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.