Using an intel mac in winows mode

Reaction score
I'm concidering getting a mac, either imac or powerbook (secondhand).
My choice is dictated by the answers to the following:

In using windows XP on an intel imac, is it possible to use it exactly as with a PC. I know this sounds daft, but the reason for getting an intel imac would be so that my wife could use it as a pc too (she teaches basic computing to elderly folk, so she needs to be able to work completely in pc mode). If there are a fair few differences - i.e keyboard shortcuts, right click mouse options or anything else significant, then I'd go for a powerbook for our mac stuff (i.e all the fun, creativity & allround productiveness!!) & keep the old pc for my wife to do her work related essentials.
The other point, assuming there are no real swither issues, is - can any pc software be installed on the windows part of the imac, or are there limitations - again my wife has some specific work stuff she must use.

Thanks for your patience & advice.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Windows installed Via Boot Camp is Windows just like on any PC. It works exactly the same and everything will run. Only things you would have any issues with are some games not supporting the video card say just like on a PC. When you boot into Windows, you are in Windows. Works 100%.

Hope that helps.

When you say Powerbook, you mean the older Mac Laptop with a Power PC? Do remember they will not run Windows are they do not use an Intel X86 CPU. The new Mac laptops are Macbook and Macbook Pro.

Reaction score
The keyboard layout is a bit different. There are workarounds if you are using a Mac only keyboard, but if you use a keyboard that supports both, then it will be familiar. For example, the Command key becomes the Windows key. There is a list of keyboard shortcut differences, and it differs for a desktop vs. notebook.

You will still have full functionality in Windows.

OP
R
Reaction score
Thanks for that.

dtravis7 - As reagrds the powerbook, yes, it'll be one of theolder non intel ones, but that's ok, as I'm prepared to didtch using windows - the only crucial need for it is with my wife's work.

illusionist - so if I get a keyboard & mouse that supports both, the operation of windows on an imac becomes exactly as a pc???

cheers

Reaction score
illusionist - so if I get a keyboard & mouse that supports both, the operation of windows on an imac becomes exactly as a pc???

cheers

Yes. I have a Logitech keyboard that supports both, and I could use it with XP just like I was on a PC.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.