Use iPhone as a modem for Macbook Pro?

Reaction score
I usually have to send photos to various publication when I'm on a deadline, and I presently use my Nokia 6630 as a modem as it's 3G, if I am not within easy reach of a WiFi source.
Has anyone with an iPhone used it as a modem, and if so is the transfer rate acceptable?
For example four jpegs attached to an e-mail (total size approx 2Mb), takes around 2 -3 minutes via my Nokia.
The iPhone stuff I've read says it may be slower. Is this correct? If so, how much longer?
Your advice/experiences are all welcome.
Thanks in advance.

Reaction score
I dont know the exact amount of time it would take but it was an issue that The iphone dose not run on 3G and is slower then 3G. As for using it as a modem no one has done it to date as far as I know.

OP
ConkersM9
Reaction score
Having read the responses, and many other threads regarding the iPhone, I have to conclude that yes it is nice, it is revolutionary, but in it's present form it's not for me.
No doubt in the coming months it will become a 3G phone, it will allow tethering, and possibly it will be available on other networks in the UK. Then I may consider it again.

Thanks for the responses though.

Del

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 2xQuad core 2.8GHZ
Having read the responses, and many other threads regarding the iPhone, I have to conclude that yes it is nice, it is revolutionary, but in it's present form it's not for me.
No doubt in the coming months it will become a 3G phone, it will allow tethering, and possibly it will be available on other networks in the UK. Then I may consider it again.

Thanks for the responses though.

Exactly how i feel about it too - at the moment it is over-priced, and over-hyped for what it does. BUT if it goes 3G, allows tethering and data transfer, dial up networking then yes I WILL buy it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
Even if I could tether the iPhone to a laptop, I wouldn't want to send anything much bigger than a text document as EDGE would be painfully slow.

iPhone may go 3G, but it will never officially be allowed to be tethered to a laptop. That would cut in to AT&T data service sales too much. You could probably make a hack, but it would go against both Apple's and AT&T's EULA/contracts, and discussing such things is strictly against forum rules.

Del

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPhone may go 3G, but it will never officially be allowed to be tethered to a laptop. That would cut in to AT&T data service sales too much.

I'm a UK resident so it would be on a contract with O2, who offer a true unlimited data usage for the iphone, so tethering it to a laptop would be extremely useful.

OP
ConkersM9
Reaction score
Sadly, being a photographer who happens to work for magazines. I have no option but to send photographs from my Laptop. If my press deadline is 9pm on a Sunday night and I'm in the Netherlands, with a Monday flight home, I can't wait to get home, to use a desktop.
I therefore need something that will act as a modem if I can't get to a Hotspot before my deadline.
If asking a legitimate question about the use of an iPhone in circumstances where I would need to use such a facility is a breach of Forum rules, then it stifles such a discussion.
But it is a valid question, and as Del points out AT&T are not O2, and their T&Cs differ from those that you may have.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm a UK resident so it would be on a contract with O2, who offer a true unlimited data usage for the iphone, so tethering it to a laptop would be extremely useful.

But, does O2 have separate plans for data-only service and sell data cards for laptops? If so, the premise still holds true.

Del

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
But, does O2 have separate plans for data-only service and sell data cards for laptops? If so, the premise still holds true.

Indeed they do - but the fact remains that their iPhone deals offer a true unlimited data allowance.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The data allowance with AT&T is unlimited also. I'm just saying that I don't think O2 wants people using their cell phones for a data link when O2 could make more money by selling people a data card and an additional plan. If O2 is so kind as to forgo profits and allow its customers to tether their phones, than I am jealous, but I just don't think they would. It doesn't make god business sense.

Del

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If O2 is so kind as to forgo profits and allow its customers to tether their phones, then I am jealous, but I just don't think they would. It doesn't make good business sense.

Surely it is Apple who are preventing tethering and not O2? After all my Nokia phone on O2 can be tethered to my Mac no problem at all.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Why would Apple care whether or not you tether. From their point of view, the more useful people find it, the more they'll sell.

Can this restriction be applied to tethering"

6.4 You must not establish, install or use a GSM Gateway without our prior written consent, which may be withheld at our absolute discretion.

“GSM Gateway" means a device (not designed or adapted to be capable of being used whilst in motion) for wireless telegraphy designed or adapted to be connected by wireless telegraphy to the O2 wireless telecommunications network or the wireless telecommunications system of another network operator and used solely for the purpose of sending and receiving messages conveyed by means of the O2 wireless telecommunications

There's also this:

Unlimited Data / WiFi Fair Use Policy: Your O2 tariff for iPhone allows you unlimited use of O2 UK’s Edge / GPRS networks and The Cloud’s UK Wireless LAN network, for personal internet use, email and Visual Voicemail (VVM) on your iPhone only.

Del

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It will happen eventually (because the consumer wants it) but not before the telecoms companies and Apple have milked the consumers for every penny they can get.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.