Which speakers for MacPro

Reaction score
I just bought MacPro which has digital optical audio output socket. Now I am looking for speakers that can be used with MacPro. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black macbook 2.16ghz 2GB Ram 160GB hdd | 8Gb Ipod Nano
you can use any normal computer/laptop speakers with the macbook pro. the world is your oister!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone
I don't think there is a difference in sound quality if you use the standard jack versus the digital.
In any case, any set of computer speakers will work. I have my Mac Pro (not Macbook Pro) hooked up to my TV's surround system through the analog jack and it sounds great!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
I think this is more of of an audio question

as in all audio stuff - its down to the quality of the amp and speakers

I looked at various computer speakers. In the end I just went for a decent Cambridge Audio amp and some compact Pioneer speakers.

IMO computer speakers are generally quite poor. You are better off running sound through a fairly decent separate amp and some quality speakers - just make a budget and visit an audio store rather than a computer store.

OP
C
Reaction score
I have Harmon/Kardon Champaine Glass type speakers and when I plug it in Mac Pro there is no sound. These speakers usually plug into a subwoofer and the subwoofer is connected to the computer.

These work just fine on my Dell Dimension PC but does not work on MacPro.

These speakers are analog speakers.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
how are they connected, 3.5mm jack or something else?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
I think this is more of of an audio question

as in all audio stuff - its down to the quality of the amp and speakers

I looked at various computer speakers. In the end I just went for a decent Cambridge Audio amp and some compact Pioneer speakers.

IMO computer speakers are generally quite poor. You are better off running sound through a fairly decent separate amp and some quality speakers - just make a budget and visit an audio store rather than a computer store.

I would second that. Most computer speakers sets, especially those horrible satellite/sub setups are just awful: always way too much bass and no midrange at all. I got myself a set of M-Audio StudioPro 3 audio monitors that have been very good. They don't produce booming bass, but they do produce a very clear and accurate sound with a good midrange. If you want a lot of bass, I think they can be connected to a subwoofer somehow, but I haven't done it.

I would rather have the satellite/sub setup for visual aesthetics and bass, but after hearing music through these they all just sound like garbage and I'll never go back.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac 3.06GHz 8GB of RAM 2TB HDD, 13" Aluminum MacBook 2.0GHz 4GB of RAM 500GB HDD
I have the Bose Companion 3 setup and it sounds great. Good bass response, excellent mid range, and really good highs. I would have to say this is the best set of computer speakers I have ever owned.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.