some photos whem making them bigger from events just show a !

Reaction score
when clicking on a photo in one of my events in iphoto 08 making them bigger it just shows a big exclamation mark.

whats going on?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
That means iPhoto can't find the original file. You probably uncheck the 'add images to library folder' checkbox in the advanced preferences (iPhoto > Preferences > Advanced) and moved the original file from its location.

OP
N
Reaction score
That means iPhoto can't find the original file. You probably uncheck the 'add images to library folder' checkbox in the advanced preferences (iPhoto > Preferences > Advanced) and moved the original file from its location.

nope, they are still in the iphoto library. havnt moved any of them. that have only ever been in iphoto. nowhere else as they were imported straight form my camera..

seems like yet another iphoto 08 library bug. there are lots of people on the apple support forums having similar issues with it forgetting where photos are.

annoying thing is it flashes briefly as the larger photo before disappearing. and only does it with one event.

ill copy them into iphoto from my back up, AGAIN!! getting sick of problems with iphoto08 to be honest. never had any problems with 06...

Reaction score
Go to the iPhoto Library, select the thumbnail of the photo you want to view and right-click on it and select "Show File" (I only have iLife '06 but it may still be the same in iPhoto '08).

When the finder window launches showing the original photo, which is nested in the iPhoto Library Folder, select it and double click it. If you can't see it there then it may have been deleted accidentally or not imported into the iPhoto Library Folder in the first place.

Sometimes when you right-click on a photo in the iPhoto Library window and select 'Show File', while a Finder window launches showing the photo's from the Roll .... often you can't exactly see the photo you're seeking cos the window may have a small scroll bar, so just look around the folder for it. If you still can't see the highlighted original, keep the Finder window open and return to the iPhoto Library, right-click on the pic again to select "Show File" and this time the Finder window will spring to the front and you should see a highlighted photo which is the original file you want. As I wrote earlier, just double-click it and it should show up in your iPhoto Library and the question mark will disappear.

Anytime I've seen that question mark, it's always been because I've gone and deleted the original but not the alias in the iPhoto Library window ... while were on the topic, it's important if you chuck any pics from your iPhoto Library window, you've got to right-click on them to select the original file which is nested within iPhoto's folder on your HD. If you don't do this you end up with broken alias' and confusion.

OP
N
Reaction score
Go to the iPhoto Library, select the thumbnail of the photo you want to view and right-click on it and select "Show File" (I only have iLife '06 but it may still be the same in iPhoto '08).

When the finder window launches showing the original photo, which is nested in the iPhoto Library Folder, select it and double click it. If you can't see it there then it may have been deleted accidentally or not imported into the iPhoto Library Folder in the first place.

Sometimes when you right-click on a photo in the iPhoto Library window and select 'Show File', while a Finder window launches showing the photo's from the Roll .... often you can't exactly see the photo you're seeking cos the window may have a small scroll bar, so just look around the folder for it. If you still can't see the highlighted original, keep the Finder window open and return to the iPhoto Library, right-click on the pic again to select "Show File" and this time the Finder window will spring to the front and you should see a highlighted photo which is the original file you want. As I wrote earlier, just double-click it and it should show up in your iPhoto Library and the question mark will disappear.

Anytime I've seen that question mark, it's always been because I've gone and deleted the original but not the alias in the iPhoto Library window ... while were on the topic, it's important if you chuck any pics from your iPhoto Library window, you've got to right-click on them to select the original file which is nested within iPhoto's folder on your HD. If you don't do this you end up with broken alias' and confusion.

already checked and the photos were still in the same folder. they hadnt moved..

i never delete or move any photos, EVER. as i said i jsut import them direct into iphoto as events and leave them be.

to solve i copied and pasted them in and out of the library folder and it solved it.

its yet another bug with iphoto 08, pleanty of people are having these sort of problems on the apple support forums.

i photo 08 works diferently when deleting tho. if you delete the pic from i photo it goes from the library too. you no longer have to manually delete them.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.