system restart

N

nwilcox

on my powerbook, the screen just all of a sudden got darker and a box came up that said i had to restart the computer (with a big picture of the power button in the background)...

what happened?

all that I was going was checking my yahoo mail.

is this bad? how can I prevent it again?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
It sounds like you had a Kernal Panic.... Did it say this in a couple other languages as well?

This happens although rarely but isn't going to ruin your system. I would run checks on your Disk Permissions.

If it happens more than once and its happening while doing the same thing you could try to stop doing that thing to see if it solves your problem

If it continues to happen frequently (I have never had one in over a year so don't know how frequently frequently is on these) it could be a hardware problem for apple to take a look at

OP
J

jwindhall

nwilcox said:
on my powerbook, the screen just all of a sudden got darker and a box came up that said i had to restart the computer (with a big picture of the power button in the background)...

what happened?

all that I was going was checking my yahoo mail.

is this bad? how can I prevent it again?

Definitely a Kernel Panic. I stumble upon them from time to time when my machine is "thinking extra hard" - it's like a brain fart of sorts. I work for at a photo studio where we do digital editing and mass image crunching/moving processing etc. so we get thme from time to time.

Not a big deal unless you notice a theme i.e. string of them.

OP
N

nwilcox

i was only running safari and checking my email...i think it just had a "brain fart".

how do I "run checks on my disk permissions"?

-N

new to mac...but never will go back

trpnmonkey41 said:
It sounds like you had a Kernal Panic.... Did it say this in a couple other languages as well?

This happens although rarely but isn't going to ruin your system. I would run checks on your Disk Permissions.

If it happens more than once and its happening while doing the same thing you could try to stop doing that thing to see if it solves your problem

If it continues to happen frequently (I have never had one in over a year so don't know how frequently frequently is on these) it could be a hardware problem for apple to take a look at

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
Go to Applications -> Utilities -> Disk Utility

select the Macintosh HD and click Repair Disk Permissions

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.