My Leopard Install

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 iMacs 17+20" 2.16GHz 2GB RAM 500MB HDD 256MB Graphic card. 60Gig 5th gen iPod with Video
Well It's done .
I finally switched to Leopard. .

Which route did I take? Well I did a clean Install . I wanted to try it as it's something I have never done even in my PC days.

I backed up my home folder to an External using Apples own Back-up app.I then Synced(Can I say that ?) all my settings to .Mac I then offered a prayer to the great Jobs and inserted my DVD. I chose not to install all the printer drivers so that cuts down on space needed.I also skipped the check DVD option. I just dove in. 38 minutes later I had the new desktop in front of me. What amazed me is that it picked up my broadband no problem I had to do absolutely nothing to get on the net not even enter a password. I then re installed back-up from .Mac and re- synced my settings from .Mac everything worked. I did one thing wrong. I was playing around while restoring my back-up so not all followed over to my mac . A new restore fixed that

My 1st impressions are very good and, most of my earlier apps work just fine with one exception. Spanning Sync doesn't want to sync for some reason. I am now in the process of re installing all my 3rd party apps and getting to grips with the beast

There are a few things that I'm not happy with
1. Lack of any Print selection option. I'm having to jump though hoops to print a few lines from a document. The plug-in I used in Tiger for this no longer works
2. No Norwegian Spelling Check (This is a small gripe . It's missing all the same)
3. The stacks for downloads don't show all downloads ? strange

I love Leopard otherwise . There is so much to explore in it.I'm looking forward to getting to know it.

One last thing which I love .It's a silly little thing. There is a screen saver in Leopard where you choose a folder from iPhoto. Then you click the little Mosaic button. It will then use all your pictures form iPhoto library to make a picture from your chosen iPhoto folder. Really looks great and, is fun to watch.

This is a shot from Bergen this summer using mosaic sceensaver
dock-20071110-093819.jpg

I have since got my iCal and Spanning sync to work using the following advice from Apple

iCal, Mac OS X 10.5: Empty "Home" and "Work" calendars may appear after installing Leopard
Issue or symptom

If you don't immediately migrate your iCal data in Migration Assistant after installing Leopard, and you open and close Mail or the Calendar widget before opening iCal (even if you use Migration Assistant after opening Mail or the Calendar widget), empty "Home" and "Work" calendars may appear.
Products affected

iCal 3.0
Mac OS X 10.5

Solution

Use one of these solutions to restore your calendar data.

Manually copy calendar data

If you copied your calendar data manually to "Users/~/Library/Application Support/iCal" but only the default "Home" and "Work" calendars appear when you open iCal, quit all open applications (including Mail and iCal) and move the "Users/~/Library/Calendars" folder to the desktop. Open iCal again.

If you use .Mac Backup

If you use the Backup application included with .Mac, see this article.
If you created an iCal Backup File

Double-click your iCal Backup File (this is the file that's created when choosing Backup Database from the File menu in iCal). This will restore your calendar data.
When you next open iCal, your previous calendar data should be restored.

I used back-up app so did this

.Mac: Backup - Restoring Mac OS X 10.4 contacts and calendars in Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard
Issue or symptom

With Backup, backups of your Address Book contacts or iCal calendars made in Mac OS X 10.4 may not restore successfully in Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard depending on how you upgraded.

This issue can occur if you upgrade to Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard with an Erase and Install installation or Archive and Install installation without selecting "Preserve Users and Network Settings". Calendar and contact data is stored differently in Mac OS X 10.4 and Mac OS X 10.5.

Products affected

Mac OS X 10.4, 10.5
Backup (.Mac)
Solution

Contacts

You can avoid this issue by restoring your contacts via Backup before opening Address Book in Mac OS X 10.5.

If you've already opened Address Book prior to restoring from Backup, follow the steps below:

Quit Address Book if it's running.
In the Finder, from the Go menu choose Home.
Open the Library folder.
Open the Application Support folder.
Locate the Address Book folder, then move it to your desktop.
Restore your Contacts using Backup.
Open Address Book.
After confirming your contacts have been restored, you can delete the Address Book folder on your desktop.
Calendars

Quit iCal if it's running.
Open the Library folder.
Locate the Calendars folder, then move it to your desktop.
In the Library folder, open the Application Support folder.
Locate the iCal folder, and move it to your desktop.
Restore your Calendars using Backup.
Open iCal.
After confirming your calendars have been restored, you can delete the Calendars and iCal folders on your Desktop.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Interesting. My Screensaver window doesn't have that option.

EDIT: Oh wait, yes it does.

Edit 2: HOLY BAT CRAPMAN! THAT IS A COOL FEATURE!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac's
Interesting. My Screensaver window doesn't have that option.

EDIT: Oh wait, yes it does.

Edit 2: HOLY BAT CRAPMAN! THAT IS A COOL FEATURE!

Odd... I do NOT have that option. :( Any advice?

:) EDIT:... oops.. it's in SCREENSAVER, not Wallpaper.

Ok... just like baggss...

EDIT2: OH MY!!! THAT is AMAZING!!! Thanks Kilted! Great post too!

OP
Kilted1
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 iMacs 17+20" 2.16GHz 2GB RAM 500MB HDD 256MB Graphic card. 60Gig 5th gen iPod with Video
I'm glad you liked it and the screensaver tips.

A couple of other thinks I've noticed are .

When dragging and dropping folders in the finder you somtimes get a ghost of the folder where you drop it.. Strange

Verifying permissions takes around 5 minutes!!! before you get any text in the window (Fault for this lies with Apple I have since found out)

Disc ejection from finder is a bit hit and miss.

Reaction score
Quit Address Book if it's running.
Open the Library folder.
Open the Application Support folder.
Locate the Address Book folder, then move it to your desktop.
Restore your Contacts using Backup.
Open Address Book.
After confirming your contacts have been restored, you can delete the Address Book folder on your desktop.

I'm not sure I understand how to do the underlined intruction. Is Backup a program on the Mac or is a menu item. I can't find it.

Thanks, Danny

OP
Kilted1
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Jep Backup is Apples own Backup program you can download for free if you have a .Mac account

Reaction score
I don't have a .mac account. Can I still retrieve my address book contacts somehow??

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.