Why Cant I Download Torrents??

Reaction score
ive tried just about everything, i tried tomato, azurraa or what ever its called and i just downloaded transmission, ive tried downloading a couple things from mininova.org, i tried ones with a lot of seeds still doesnt work, anyone know why, and firewall is off

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
Yes, probably, but it is not a topic we can discuss openly here, as it is not a legal download we are talking about.

Reaction score
well not to bust your bubble or anything kev, but torrents are used for everything, fedora uses torrents, and thats free, i mean last time i checked fedora was open source, free, so that makes it illegal becaue they offer torrents? does he say what hes trying to download? no, for all we know hes on mininova to try and find a better seeded version of the ppc fedora release torrent. Last time i checked using torrents is completly legal.

Edit: most major software companies use torrents now adays becuase it takes the load off of there servers, i mean wouldn't you. Same concept with a game server, you setup a game server with all kinds of extra downloads, skins,maps, sounds, admin tools, so on, got a 16 slot server, 13 people are playing and 3 people are downloading all the extras for the first time, thus ending in lag not frag, so you use a url redirect download via domain name, in this case it would be a "Torrent" the less bandwidth they have to use the better it is for them.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
It is not Torrents in general nor a Torrent client that is illegal but piracy is. I checked the URL and that is why Kev said what he did. No discussion of downloading pirated software, Movies, Music ETC is allowed here.

I have no idea why you can't download. Works here with Azureus on legal sites.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
It is not Torrents in general nor a Torrent client that is illegal but piracy is. I checked the URL and that is why Kev said what he did. No discussion of downloading pirated software, Movies, Music ETC is allowed here.

I have no idea why you can't download. Works here with Azureus on legal sites.

Exactly. Mininova is a site for illegal torrents, and I knew this,hence my post.

OP
C
Reaction score
so no help here? dont understand why this site is sooo uptight on everything, and its not like you guys buy itunes cards to get all your music, but thanks for nothing i guess

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
Exactly. Mininova is a site for illegal torrents, and I knew this,hence my post.

Actually no, not everything there is illegal.

Torrents are not illegal, torrent clients are not illegal. Discussion of downloading illegal or copyrighted material is what is permitted here.

I saw nothing in the OP's post to make it seem illegal.

Re-opening the thread.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
so no help here? dont understand why this site is sooo uptight on everything, and its not like you guys buy itunes cards to get all your music, but thanks for nothing i guess

Actually all the music in my iTunes library is legal. And you're right, I don't buy all my music from iTunes. I also get it from Amazon and CDs that I own. Oh and some independent groups give their stuff away for free... ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ok. I conceed that not all torrents there are illegal, and as Schweb has said that we can discuss this, I will answer.

Calichris problem is most likely 2 things.
By default Azureus and Transmission use port 6881 to "listen" through. Many, if not all, ISP's blacklist this port as it is used for p2p a lot.
Firstly, change the listening port to something obscure. I use 17549 (I think!)
Secondly, and probably the biggest reason, is that you need to forward ports on your router, so that the listening port is open.
Search for your router model on www.portforward.com, to get a guide on how to do so.
If it isn't listed, google for it, or come back here for some advice.
Once those 2 things have been done, you should be away.

(I have PM'd Calicris about this anyway, but this is the same answer)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.