Can't Install Software

Reaction score
I just purchased a legitimate copy of Toontracks EZDrummer. When trying to install, I get to the "Select Destination" part it says, "You are not allowed to install the software in the default location on the volume ---. Check with the administrator of your computer."

I AM the administrator though. I have no other accounts. I also clicked "Get Info" on the application folder and set the ownership and permission to myself.

Help? Thanks!

M

MacHeadCase

Welcome to Mac-Forums, littlenutnut.

You are running Mac OS X 10.3.x Panther, yes? I recall Panther had problems with disk permissions and if they weren't repaired once in a while, things could go a little crazy.

So, did you try repairing disk permissions? You will find Apple's Disk Utility in the Utilities folder. Launch it, select your internal hard drive icon in the left hand sidebar and click on Repair Disk Permissions. See if that wouldn't fix it for you. Let us know how it goes.

Another thing that could be wrong is that either your Mac, the OS version it is running on or both don't meet the minimum requirements needed for the application you want to install.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
I think I had a similar problem installing adobe CS back in the panther days

I had to log on as root and install it under that account

then go back to my user account

M

MacHeadCase

The problem with that solution is that if you aren't Terminal-savvy or aren't careful, you can mess up your system big time by logging in as root, and I DO mean big time! I wouldn't recommend that offhand to everybody.

OP
L
Reaction score
So I tried repairing the disk permissions. Unfortunately it didn't work. My system does meet the minimum requirements as well.

I'm not sure how to log in as root because I only have one account. And I'm sure I would screw something up. :Smirk:

Any other suggestions? Thanks.

M

MacHeadCase

Can you create a new user account with admin privileges and install it there and see? I dunno: either your usual account got messed up somehow or the software isn't compatible. I had a look at the website, just make doubly sure you meet the requirements.

Or maybe the installer is looking for another piece of software before it can install itself and it doesn't find it.

It's all I can think of. Maybe some else will have a better idea.

Reaction score
I just purchased a legitimate copy of Toontracks EZDrummer. When trying to install, I get to the "Select Destination" part it says, "You are not allowed to install the software in the default location on the volume ---. Check with the administrator of your computer."

I AM the administrator though. I have no other accounts. I also clicked "Get Info" on the application folder and set the ownership and permission to myself.

Help? Thanks!

Try the following:

• Sometimes it is necessary to delete installation receipts of previous versions. Receipts are located in the Hard Drive - Library - Receipts folder. It will be named the same or similar to the install package name. Example: EZDrummer.pkg.

• Make sure all previous versions of the software have been removed. If you attempt to install over the top of the old software you may get that error message. Remove software first by deleting it from the applications directory and also removing the receipt from the MacintoshHD ~> Library ~> Receipts folder.

• Make sure your username has Administrative rights on the Mac. Go to Apple - Preferences - Users - You should see your username and the word "Admin" underneath. (You have already done this one)

• You may not have rights to install to specific folders into which the installer must install files.

• Try dragging each installer package from the CD to your desktop. Now run each installer separately. (Run each .pkg file)

M

MacHeadCase

Good call Spawn. The installer in the Receipts folder, I forgot that possibility!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.