Static noise from laptop - what is happening?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air 1.6 - iMac 20" for the wife
Hi

I got this brand new MacBook, and I am hearing from time to time some "static" like sound from the casing. If I put my ear close to it, I think its coming from around the "q" and "w" letters, I mean right below them. Its like a squeaking, static sound, sounds like some electronic noise. It goes away completely at times, and some other times its quite loud.

I recently upgraded to 2GB RAM by myself, but I got the certified memory, so I think that should be no problem. I also bought and ran memtestosx and it passed without a single glitch.

Any help or suggestion would be welcome,

Again, I dont know if it just happened after the RAM upgrade, or had it before, as the MacBook is about 2 weeks old, still just getting used to it.

Thanks

Ben

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 13" Mid-2015.
Any bluetooth devices?

Have you taken out ram to see if it still happens?

Disable sound card and see if its feedback realated.

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hi
I have a mighty mouse, nothing else though on the BT.
I didnt try to take RAM out, but boy was it hard to get the extra RAM in. That is why I am hesitant to open it. Id didnt go in easily, it required some force, and at the end, it didnt click at all. I expected some easier solution, and I read and reread the manual about the RAM upgrade, but it just wasnt too easy. Also that metal cover that hides the RAM and HDD didnt go back easy. It is held by the 3 screws, but between the screws, it curves out a bit, as the sponge-like cushion didnt quite fit back to its path.

You think the RAM can be at cause? I dont have the other memory with me, I left it in the office, so I cannot just swap it back.

I also just upgraded to Leopard at the same time with the RAM upgrade, so there were too many things happening that could have an affect. I guess next time I go one by one on upgrades.

So with MacBooks, there is no Static-ish noise coming from beneath the keyboard usually?

Thanks

Ben

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hi

Just a report back, this shall be the problem I am having, outlined in the following website:

http://www.appledefects.com/wiki/index.php?title=MacBook#Idle_Processor_Noise
Code:
Idle Processor Noise

* The MacBook is victim to the high pitched noise generated by the processor, known as the 'CPU whine'
    * Its sort of like beeping but "More like rythmic screaming"
    * This occurs only when the CPU is idle
    * Disabling the second core of the processor or running a program that prevents the processors from being idle will eliminate this sound (like PhotoBooth).
    * Comes from under the W key
    * noise is easy to recognize when holding down a key (iiiiiii) or when visiting this website <http://www.learner.org/jnorth/mclass/spring2006/Peek033106.html>
    * This has also been observed on the MacBook Pro, as well as other Core Duo based PC laptops.
    * Unlike the Macbook Pro, Apple has yet to recognize this issue.

Now, there does not seem to be a resolution to this, but I am guessing its fine.

Anyone with the same problem?

Thanks

Ben

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.