Did I make a huge mistake?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac G5, 4G 40gb, G4 iBook
Here is the story...

My friend who works at the apple store but does not have a mac gave me his free copy of Leopard. So I put the disc in and installed it like you would any other piece of software. So after everything installs on my iMac the software wizard notifies me that I have to restart the computer. I restart the computer and then it gets stuck at the blue screen with the beach ball and just sits there doing nothing. I have tried turning the computer off and turning it back on and the same thing keeps happening.

After I mention this to my friend he tells me how he forgot to tell me there is a certain way that I was supposed to install leopard which I didnt do. He also mentioned that I will most likely lose ALL of my data.

Can anyone help me or offer any insight on my situation. I did a search and didn't turn up much. I truly am desperate.

I should mention my system specs: iMac G5 1.8Ghz w/ 1GB of RAM.

Thanks in advance
john

Reaction score
I had the same thing happen to me, had to do a total install and it worked loke a charm.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP w/Intel Core 2 Duo w/Lion, MBA w/Lion, 80GB iPod Video, 32GB iPhone 4, Two 32GB iPads
I had the same exact thing happen to me on my MBP. I originally did an Upgrade, and was left with the Mac version of the Blue Screen of Death. I then did an Archive Install and it works fine. I didn't lose any of my data.

Reaction score
same thing happened on a G5 my mistake I did not check the memory I thought it was 512 Opps its wasnt and happed the blue screen lock up I jacked up the ram and installed Panther (original OS) and did not lose and thing then reinstalled leopard and so far I have not heard any complaints form my mother (G5 was here machine) I also did a Archive Install and saddly It installed fast then on my two macbooks so Archive Install is the way to go.

OP
digital john
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
s

Does anyone know how I can fix my problem? I dont know how to get the computer on in order to correct the problem. I just get stuck at blue screen with a spinning beach ball.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Does anyone know how I can fix my problem? I dont know how to get the computer on in order to correct the problem. I just get stuck at blue screen with a spinning beach ball.

Is this a Legal copy of Leopard? Just making sure do to forum rules.

If so put in the Leopard DVD and boot holding down the C key. When you get to the install and to the screen just before the one where you choose your drive to install to, open options (or Advanced) and change it to Archive and Install. Then proceed to the drive selection and let it install. That should fix it. Has worked for many.

I have a feeling you had Application Enhancer installed which causes your issue.

OP
digital john
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes it is a legal copy. It was given directly to an apple employee who was entitled to a free copy who then past it on to me because he did not have a mac.

If I go along with the advice you gave by holding down the C key will I lose any info? I had already installed the program but I ran into my problem after the computer prompted me to restart to complete the installation.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Yes it is a legal copy. It was given directly to an apple employee who was entitled to a free copy who then past it on to me because he did not have a mac.

If I go along with the advice you gave by holding down the C key will I lose any info? I had already installed the program but I ran into my problem after the computer prompted me to restart to complete the installation.

When you get into the installer and the screen where you choose the hard drive, choose the drive then hit advanced and select either Upgrade or Archive and Install. Most people have had great luck with A&I. Nothing will be lost if you do either of those options. If you choose Erase and Install, everything will be erased.

Reaction score
So, you have a "free" copy from a friend who works at an Apple store and your posting here? What does your Apple store friend say about your issue?

OP
digital john
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
When you get into the installer and the screen where you choose the hard drive, choose the drive then hit advanced and select either Upgrade or Archive and Install. Most people have had great luck with A&I. Nothing will be lost if you do either of those options. If you choose Erase and Install, everything will be erased.

Thank you very much i will give it a try.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" 2.8ghz IMAC, MB Pro
So, you have a "free" copy from a friend who works at an Apple store and your posting here? What does your Apple store friend say about your issue?

Most apple store employees don't know a thing about Macs. Only the certified technicians "genious" have any real knowledge of the systems.

OP
digital john
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
And not everyone who works for apple has something to do with computers. IE administration.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16GHz C2D MacBook w/ 2GB RAM & 120GB HD. HTC Droid Incredible.
Helpful tip: Always back up important data before upgrading your os or anything else major! :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.