Dell vs Mac wireless comparision

Reaction score
I have a three year old Dell (with a year-old upgraded wireless networking card) and I just this week I bought a 17"MacPro.

Both are connected to the same wireless network and when sitting side-by-side the Dell has far superior wireless reception. If I am more than 2 rooms away from the wireless transmitter the Mac loses connectivity. But the Dell smokes at this distance and even works (albeit more slowly) from the other side of my house.
Others have posted similar problems but there have been no replies which explain this situation or offer solutions. Is this the norm?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Does your MBP have Leopard or Tiger?

I have the exact opposite results here. I can go farther away with my Mac notebook than any PC notebook in the house.

OP
J
Reaction score
I have yet to install Leopard...

I just got it this week and have been fiddling and researching the wireless issue. Are you suggesting that Leopard would noticeably improve my reception?
Thank you for the reply, Travis.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Reason I asked is there were quite a few users when the 10.4.10 update first came out that had Wireless issues and bad reception. If you have Leopard you might give it a try and see what happens.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac mini 2.6GHz i5 8GB RAM 1TB HDD OSX Yosemite
I've had the same results as dTravis7... I've connected two separate laptops... No four... A Dell, an HP, and a macbook and macbook pro to my network and the mac's carry a full signal just about anywhere in the house where the other two carried two dots and under...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.