My Mighty Mouse not so Mighty right now

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac Intel Core 2 Duo (Aluminum & Glass) 260 GB HD
So less than 3 months old, the Scroll Ball is acting up. Intermittenly the Downward scroll refuses to work, its very frustrating... Anyone know of any ways that I could clean it to see if its dirty? If not, im just gonna request a replacement from Apple. afterall its less than 3 months old.

OP
bryans83
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac Intel Core 2 Duo (Aluminum & Glass) 260 GB HD
Thanks Brendan,

I'l try the steps out, Im hoping its just some dirt that snuck into the inside of the mouse, The Mouse itself doesnt look dirty, but little particles could easily have gotten in.

Reaction score
I too have this problem, i went in and asked for a new one and they started to babble about emailing them to book an appointment in there "genius" lab or somthing. They also mentioned i would have to give them my serial number so they could check my guarantee.
I have not been back since as my nearest shop is a bit of a distance away.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" 2.8ghz IMAC, MB Pro
Take a rag, put some rubbing alcohol on it, turn your mouse upside down and push down hard while you roll the ball on the rag. This will clean it right up.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2.16 GHz 250Gb HDD 2.5Gb RAM
Same thing happened with me. I just put some acetone on a towel and rubbed the ball. It started working, but it periodically stops scrolling down. Next tim it happens ill probably just call apple care (ive barely had this for 2 months.)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
This is the reason I ditched the MM long ago....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBP, 2.26GHz, 8gb RAM
Easy fix. Grab a piece of paper and put it on your desk, or any other hard, smooth surface. Now take your Mighty Mouse and turn it upside down, place the scroll ball on the paper and press firmly. Now rub like crazy in all directions. Expect your nice white clean piece of paper to be covered in gunk and your Mighty Mouse to be working perfectly =)

Neo

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
white MB 2.16GHz 3GB 320GB 10.6.1
"Rub like crazy" doesn't sound like something that would be in any owner's manual. ;)

I've had my mighty mice for 8 months and 3 months respectively, with no gunking problems.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
"Rub like crazy" doesn't sound like something that would be in any owner's manual. ;)

I've had my mighty mice for 8 months and 3 months respectively, with no gunking problems.

Probably not, but it works :D

You're pretty lucky... I have to do mine maybe once every 2 months. It's not as big a hassle as everyone makes it out to be. Very small price to pay for the 360º scroll wheel! I love that thing...

Reaction score
I've narrowed the culprit down to my food/dirt/etc covered fingertips .... I remember someone used to say "wash your hands before touching my record collection" .... I used to scoff but now I'm paying the price ..... the only thing I really like about the MM is it's shape.

Hey I just learnt something new just then ... if I place the I-beam over the full stop in the last sentence and place even pressure on the mouse and click twice rapidly, it selects the dot while 3 rapid clicks selects the whole paragraph ... or I can select a whole word then the whole paragraph ... and here's me been doing the left click'n'drag method for the past 2 years ...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Spawn__Dooley;527664 said:
Hey I just learnt something new just then ... if I place the I-beam over the full stop in the last sentence and place even pressure on the mouse and click twice rapidly, it selects the dot while 3 rapid clicks selects the whole paragraph ... or I can select a whole word then the whole paragraph ... and here's me been doing the left click'n'drag method for the past 2 years ...

Also, if you double click on a space, it selects the words either side ;D

Reaction score
Easy fix. Grab a piece of paper and put it on your desk, or any other hard, smooth surface. Now take your Mighty Mouse and turn it upside down, place the scroll ball on the paper and press firmly. Now rub like crazy in all directions. Expect your nice white clean piece of paper to be covered in gunk and your Mighty Mouse to be working perfectly =)

You genius, thanks. Can't believe what came out.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac pro Quad Xeon; 15" Retina Macbook Pro; macbooks (family); Macbook pro 17"; intel & G4 iMacs.
I have this same problem every couple of weeks or so and just follow the instructions on Apple's site as reproduced above.

The problem I have though is that the rh click stops working every few weeks and to fix it you have to turn the mouse off and back on !! Just really annoying!!

Cam

Reaction score
I also find that if you simply push really hard on the ball and move it around quickly in all directions it sorts its self out.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
IMAC 20 inch dual core. 16 GB ipad.
Spawn__Dooley;527664 said:
I've narrowed the culprit down to my food/dirt/etc covered fingertips .... I remember someone used to say "wash your hands before touching my record collection" .... I used to scoff but now I'm paying the price ..... the only thing I really like about the MM is it's shape.

Can do that one, cool!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
IMAC 20 inch dual core. 16 GB ipad.
Also, if you double click on a space, it selects the words either side ;D

Can't do that one it must be me.
I have the sticking problem with my MM from time to time. My solution is licking the tip of my finger and rolling the scroll button around for a few seconds HARD.

Neo

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
white MB 2.16GHz 3GB 320GB 10.6.1
The problem I have though is that the rh click stops working every few weeks and to fix it you have to turn the mouse off and back on !! Just really annoying!!

I have been really happy with my Bluetooth MM, but now that you mention it, yeah, last week the right-click gradually went away. I turned it off and back on, and it was good again. That's the first time in three months. I can deal with that.

Then there's the weird "wandering cursor" described on other threads...it turned out it had to do with my mouse pad surface (fabric on foam type). The MM works like a charm now I have a hard surface pad (or just the top of the desk).

Reaction score
Buying the Bluetooth Mighty Mouse has been one of the biggest mistakes I've ever made. I hate the thing, but maybe that's just because I can't figure out how to use it right (I get to actually right click once out of every 5 attempts)

As soon as I return to the united states I'm ordering a replacement blue tooth mouse from newegg.

Reaction score

Geez, that actually WORKED. I've gone haywired trying to figure out a way to fix the scroll ball problem. Tried all the methods online, and this by far is the best. I couldn't believe all the goo that came out.

Good man!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.