Computerist people

I

Icarus

I think I've experienced more...unbacked up 'hatred' towards my mac than I have ever before in my life. I tell a friend who has a PC, "oh, Jim, I got a mac." and I've only ever gotten, "BOOO" or "ewww...mac!" or some other form like that.

So today at my friends house we were doing a lan to play Warcraft 3, right?
and his mom comes up and says,
"Nik, is that your new computer?" "yup." (Nik owns a Dell) "I like how sharp the screen is!....Mike, is that a new laptop or have you had that for awhile?" (her eyes lingering on the glowing apple for a second) "no, it's new. It's a macintosh." "....oh....well...I suppose that's better for YOUR needs, isn't it?" Now at this point I wanted to get into an argument with her about why they are not inferior to PC's, (Oddly enough, an Arugument similar to this would have never taken place as recently as Febuary...) but I just sorta smiled, and reassured myself that I have an amazing secret that all of these people probably will have no clue about.

As I left, they were all running Norton and spybot to get rid of their viruses and adware. I chuckle and put my Silver Powerbook into my backpack.

has everybody else experienced such cold people as I have?

OP
C

Cloudane

Everyone who's seen my Powerbook so far has said "ooh that's gorgeous, I wish I could (afford/justify) one." I'm not even rich, just bought it on credit to pay off over 3 years, but I suppose the majority of people are happy to put up with all the viruses/adware/etc for the lower price. *shrugs* As a computer entheusiast I wanted to pay for something decent, but I can understand that most of the world just wants "the cheapest" no matter what it costs them in time and frustration.

Nobody's tried to be mean about it so far, but there are always bigots around somewhere :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 2.6ghz Quad Xeon, 23" Cinema
I have yet to get any harassment from anyone. The bad thing is most people won't want to listen to an argument, they're set on the idea that macs suck. A year ago I would have bet someone $100 that I would never own a mac, and now I have one. Given I would never own a pre-osx model (I hated using those in elementary through high school), but the new apples are soooo nice and I love os x.

OP
I

Icarus

I think the major bad karma that my generation has against the Macintosh brand is we all used Apples back in the day, and school computers are ALWAYS slow. Just that we never were around any fast Macs, so we had the assumption that Mac's were all terrible machines. Shame some people just don't understand it's not better or worse, just...different.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP 2.16GHz ^ATI Radeon X1600 256MB ^100GB @ 7200 rpm ^2GB RAM ^Glossy Screen +iPod 4G 20 gigs
Everyone that knows me considers me superior to themselves as far as IT/technology is concerned, so no one as ever tried to call my laptop crap. And why would they, it blows them off when they look at it. All they ask is... was it very expensive?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2
Yeah expense is definitely a factor.. Instead of saying this is my new macintosh, say something like, "yeah running Panther", it will at least get them curious and if they look long enough they figure out it's a mac, but they have just looked more then if they would have just dismissed it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2.2Ghz SR MBP
I've gotten that before. Our schools IT guy did that. "Holy *$&^! Is that a Mac! Macs just suck!" Some other guys tried to trash my PB too so I got really ticked off. Do you know what I did? I hacked in to my school network just to tick off the IT guy and then those guys that tried to destory my baby, lets just say that they werent very happy with their report cards that semester.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 2.6ghz Quad Xeon, 23" Cinema
Now that's a BS story if I ever read one.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
Yeah, PC people are always giving Mac people the "Macs suck/Macs are slow/Macs are expensive" treatment.

Of course, when Mac people try to argue back, they call us zealots. :rolleyes:

Can't win.

OP
J

jaetique

Oh, that's just mean.
I haven't received many comments on my iBook, even though I cart it everywhere I go. People are fascinated by the glowing apple logo though (and so am I).
Laptops running Windows are faaaar more expensive than my iBook. By at least $500 SGD if you want to get one with good specs. I'd rather shell out on a Mac.

OP
V

VastDeathmaster

I lived in a house where the other occupants had Wintels. I had a Wintel (Wamd?) too, but I also had/have an iBook. Everytime I brought it out, they seemed to drool.

Then again, they are all geeks in one way or another and understand the place of a Mac in the Personal Computer universe.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
daughter_anna said:
on the powerbooks and i-books glow?
Yup, taking light from the display it sure does! :)

OP
I

Icarus

witeshark, you said that the glowing apple takes it's light from the display...does that mean that it'll change ever so slightly depending on what you have on your screen at that perticular moment?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G5 Dual 2GHz (June 2004), 2.5GB, Airport, black 5G iPod 30GB, white MacBook 2.0 2GB
No, every flat screen uses a backlight, and it's that backlight that makes the apple on iBooks/PowerBooks glow. It's a steady white light.
It might get dimmed if you dim the screen, of course

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I love student discount (sig)
If you dim the screen, the apple on the back does it too :) and if you turn it down so far that it looks off, the logo does it too

Reaction score
I'm slowly sinking in the posts of Mac-forums
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook 12" Combo Drive/867 MHz/256 MB RAM/40 GB hard drive/Mac OS X 10.3.5/AirPort Extreme it sux
See, this is why I don't like the Mac community.

You say "Macs rule, PCs suck!" or "PCs sucks, Macs rule!" and a big war about ABSOLUTELY NOTHING that goes ABSOLUTELY NOWHERE. Personally, I don't like Macs as much as the mac community does. So I don't bother with it, both platforms have strengths and weaknesses.

Why don't I like Macs? They don't work. You have all heard my horror stories. And then when you share a story, they say "oh that never happened to me, ive never had 1 problem with my mac." Bull. We have all had problems. I don't care if you were using OS 9, OS 8, System 6, or whatever. You have all had problems with your Macs.

Then, the Mac community hates anyone who has one ounce of respect for PCs. You have no idea how many IMs I get, saying "ur rong pcs suk ie sux doz is for lozrs" from Mac users. Opinions should be respected, you like Macs then so be it. You like Windows, then so be it. Your one of the 3 that likes Solaris, then so be it.

</rant>

OP
J

jaetique

Absolute Zero said:
See, this is why I don't like the Mac community.

You say "Macs rule, PCs suck!" or "PCs sucks, Macs rule!" and a big war about ABSOLUTELY NOTHING that goes ABSOLUTELY NOWHERE. Personally, I don't like Macs as much as the mac community does. So I don't bother with it, both platforms have strengths and weaknesses.

Why don't I like Macs? They don't work. You have all heard my horror stories. And then when you share a story, they say "oh that never happened to me, ive never had 1 problem with my mac." Bull. We have all had problems. I don't care if you were using OS 9, OS 8, System 6, or whatever. You have all had problems with your Macs.

Then, the Mac community hates anyone who has one ounce of respect for PCs. You have no idea how many IMs I get, saying "ur rong pcs suk ie sux doz is for lozrs" from Mac users. Opinions should be respected, you like Macs then so be it. You like Windows, then so be it. Your one of the 3 that likes Solaris, then so be it.

</rant>

Well, in truth, I haven't had any problems with my iBook. I'm crossing my fingers that nothing happens to it since I've only had it for 2-3 weeks. :p

I get what you mean, though, Zero. I chose a Macintosh for a variety of reasons, all of which are tailored to my needs. If someone needs a PC, then they do. I don't really get the big deal about that. It depends on the person.

The reason I enjoy the community is that there aren't many Mac users I know out in the real world. So this is where I get all the tips and such.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2.2Ghz SR MBP
I love my PC and mac. They both are wonderful machines. I use them for different uses

OP
C

Cloudane

I get your point and also respect both platforms for their merits and disadvantages (e.g. PCs for gaming). I do wonder though, you say you don't like Macs and don't like the Mac community. So what are you doing here?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.