Q: What's better? Reply to old thread or Start a new one?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 5.1 | iMac 7.1 | iMac 12.1 | iMac 19.1 | iPhone 11 Pro | Watch s5
I did a search on this forum for PS2 emulator here and came across an old thread. I misread the date of the last post, thinking it was only a few days old, and I replied to it. Someone didn't like that.

So what's the preferred thing to do here?
1) Reply to an old thread - keeping all discussion/info compiled into one
or
2) Start a new thread - which would only have updating discussion/info

Thanks in advance

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook(W) 2GHz, 80GB HD, 1G RAM, Windows XP
i would say it would be much better to reply to an old one, reviving it, than someone who is looking for some very relevant information could have it answered without asking, and it makes the forums much cleaner. I can't really see why anyone would get mad at you for replying to an old post. :S

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
I think bumping old posts is fine, as long as its on topic, and it adds to the original discussion.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air | iPad | iPhone | iPod Classic | iPod Shuffle | no more money
Continuing the discussion in an old post as long as it's on topic would seem the best thing to me.

As stated earlier - it keeps the entire conversation in one place making it much easier to read/follow/understand when the next person that wants to know this comes along.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Another vote for the old thread unless it's some Flame Fest. Please don't bring any of those Flaming WAR threads back from the dead if you know what I mean!!

:D

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
It is always better to reply on-topic to an existing thread than it is to start a new one... ALWAYS. It's just basic forum etiquette IMO.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
I would say that it is fine to use an older thread in most cases.
I did just check the thread you are talking about and I would have to say that this is one of the rare exceptions.
When a thread has laid dormant for 6 months or more, then my opinion would be that it is best to leave sleeping dogs lie.

I think it is great that people search and use older threads for reference and answers, but there is no need to revive them if they are exceptionally old. If those older threads don't answer your question, then post a new one and at least say that you checked out those threads (and link to them) and explain why they didn't help.

OP
giulio
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 5.1 | iMac 7.1 | iMac 12.1 | iMac 19.1 | iPhone 11 Pro | Watch s5
Yeah, I didn't notice the date was '05 until after someone anonymously pointed it out to me. I probably would not have replied had I known.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
I think as long as the thread is relevant and still on topic, it's always better to use an existing thread.

I'd only start a new one if the relevancy has changed dramatically.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
Like DB said, I think at some point a thread becomes too old to revive. If the thread is several months or years old, I would suggest making a new thread and linking the old one.

The ones that don't need reviving are those where the OP asked for help and the reviving post offers advice. I'm sure the OP no longer needs help at that point ;P

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
If you do dig up an old thread that is relevant to a current problem, you should at least mention in your post that you're reviving an old thread.

That should help keep people from replying to the older posts whose authors are no longer paying attention.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
rMBP 3.06Ghz, MBP 2.2Ghz, Mini G4, B/W G3 (Media Server), LCII, Beige G3
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black macbook 2.16ghz 2GB Ram 160GB hdd | 8Gb Ipod Nano
I vote for create a new threat. It is easier to see the new content that is relevent if there is a new one as there is no old content in the thread. Also some of the old content may not be relevant.

On a website admins point of things, More threads is best as it makes a forum bigger and so exapnds.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
On a website admins point of things, More threads is best as it makes a forum bigger and so exapnds.
Threads don't make a forum expand, member count and the quality of its content does.

More threads is not necessarily a good thing. Take the recent Leopard release for example.
We really don't need 547 new threads about "OMGBBQFTW Leopard is the r0X0rZ!!!11" or "WTFZOMG Leopard SUX" when a single thread could have been used for members to share their thoughts on the new OS.

Just like we don't need 936 threads about Family Pack issues, 476 threads about "what makes a MBP different from a MacBook", 9,995 threads about "what browser/chat client do you use?", 39.5 threads asking for "an MS Paint alternative for MAC?", 729 threads about "what are some good software recommendations?".....etc ad nauseum.

This is why you should search and add onto the existing threads where applicable.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.