Speakers

P

Paul G

Hello everyone. Well 4 weeks ago I purchased my first Mac and am over the moon with it :D. I have a G5 and want to purchase speakers for it, I want to have a good sound as I intend to import all my cd's and use the Mac as a central point for music and eventually TV. Can anyone suggest good speakers to go for. I realise this is a very broad open ended question but someone has suggested I would be better going to "Richer Sounds" to buy a pair there rather than going for the ones Apple recomend.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Also do I need to buy a pre-amp etc?

Thanks in advance

OP
M

MoltenLava

Have you looked at B&W? They make tiny little cute monitors suitable for computers. They are built over there in your homeland. ;)

And when you import the CDs be sure to import them in Apple Loseless format. They do take up more space (20MB each songs in average), but the compression is loseless, i.e. the same quality as the original. It's great as a backup and archiving, also you can always convert them to AAC for iPod later on. I rip all my CDs in Apple Loseless.

OP
T

thinkbible

Just hook your Mac into your sound system... my amp is within reach.... if you don't have a sound system available get one... no need to have digital tunes if you don't have the power to enjoy them. just my opinion...

OP
P

Paul G

MoltenLava said:
Have you looked at B&W? They make tiny little cute monitors suitable for computers. They are built over there in your homeland. ;)

And when you import the CDs be sure to import them in Apple Loseless format. They do take up more space (20MB each songs in average), but the compression is loseless, i.e. the same quality as the original. It's great as a backup and archiving, also you can always convert them to AAC for iPod later on. I rip all my CDs in Apple Loseless.

I've been importing my cd's as AAC files, will I lose a lot of quality in this format? Hmm, got me thinking now.

Thanks for your help.

Paul

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2.2Ghz SR MBP
I own JBL Creatures II or something like that. I like them. Lots of bass. Good sound for such small speakers. I got them on discount too!

When you convert to AAC, they are better quality than MP3 and they take up less space! Is that great or what? I have a teacher who acutally leaves his 12.5 days of music in uncompressed aiff format! do you have any idea how many gigs that takes up!

OP
M

MoltenLava

The difference between Apple Loseless and AAC will not be audible on typical computer speakers and iPod earbuds. But if you care enough about music to consider getting high end speakers like B&W, certainly those speakers will have enough resolution for Apple Loseless format.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.