• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

learning how to edit video

Reaction score
Ever since I got my macbook I wanted to try to have a go at video editing. But frankly, I don't even know where to start. Any suggestions on tools and methods? Perhaps even a tutorial or a book? Thanks O:)

Del

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 2xQuad core 2.8GHZ
Best way to learn is to just play with the software - at least thats how i learnt to do it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 5.1 | iMac 7.1 | iMac 12.1 | iMac 19.1 | iPhone 11 Pro | Watch s5
Every program will do things differently. iMovie is probably the best place to start.

Del

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 2xQuad core 2.8GHZ
iMovie is probably the best place to start.

Agreed, then when you have outgrown imovie move on to final cut express

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black macbook 2.16ghz 2GB Ram 160GB hdd | 8Gb Ipod Nano
Get a cam corder or a digital camera capable of video and start recording some clips. You can then import these clips into software of your choice. iMovie is probably a good place to start if you already have it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15" 2006 | 2011 21.5in iMac-1tb-i5-12gig | iPhone 3gs
When I make my music videos - I use....

Cinematize to extract about 20 to 30 secs of a clip... then Quicktime to cut it down in secs... to fit to the music portion.

Add to iMovie.......... add the filter effects..... there ya go!

*Bragging now :D * Here's my winning video I did for the 2007 Xena Convention http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aHQT32igXNk

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.2GHZ Macbook Pro - 4GB RAM - 500GB HD
Apple's website has a great tutorial for iMovie 08. I've been playing with it for a week and after playing, learned a lot more by watching the videos. If you are going to import video from a camcorder, make sure you have a firewire cable because from what I understand and have experienced, you can't import video into the macbook via usb.

T

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Intel Core 2 2.16 GHz 2 GB iPod video(30GB) and a Shuffle(new)
Best way to learn is to just play with the software - at least thats how i learnt to do it.

That is it! Just mess with iMovie. iMovie uses most of the basic principles of editing. Once you figure out on your own (the big picture) then come back and ask for the smaller details :D! If you mess around enuf on your own you will have a better understanding then if you read it. After iMovie if you get serious I would, and have gone, to Final Cut.

OP
B
Reaction score
thanks for all the replies. what I really want to know what does editing actually entail? let's say I made a video of my friends wedding. what would one need to edit? brightness or fading and such? oh I feel like such a nooooob O:)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
lol don't... well you might put the weding to music, fade from scene to scene, choose not to have to drunk uncles toast... that kinda stuff not really so much as color correction or fading

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
'09 8-core MacPro | '12 MBA | iPad 2 16GB | iPhone 5C 16GB
There's a wide range of things you can do with video editing that will expand alongside your experience. For now all you'll probably want to do as you are just entering into editing is capture the video, lay it out on the timeline and add music to it. Perhaps even some trimming and adding of transitions.

The layout of iMovie is very easy to navigate, and the integration of of iMovie with the rest of the iLife applications (iPhoto, iTunes and iDVD) make it very simple to add things to the video like pictures or music and then to send it off to a DVD when you're finished.

Does your camera have a DV-Out plug? (For Firewire). That's the first step to capturing video once that's done it's a breeze from there on out.

Oh and make sure you save constantly! Haha, I can't count how many times I've lost half a project because I made a lot of progress and went to render something then the application quit and I lost two and a half hours worth of work. (Honestly 99% of those experiences were on Windows-based editing programs but still it's better safe than sorry).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Oh and make sure you save constantly! Haha, I can't count how many times I've lost half a project because I made a lot of progress and went to render something then the application quit and I lost two and a half hours worth of work. (Honestly 99% of those experiences were on Windows-based editing programs but still it's better safe than sorry).

YES!!!!:) lol i have lost so many files because of iMovie crashing(the computer i was using was not suited for video) SAVE SAVE SAVE!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
'09 8-core MacPro | '12 MBA | iPad 2 16GB | iPhone 5C 16GB
Define "inexpensive". If by that you mean under $1,000 I'd look for a Canon HV20. It's HDV, so it'll be excellent quality and it'll definitely have DV-out.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.