Fonts on my macbook pro

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powerbook G4, 1.25 GHz 2gig DDR SDRAM, 120Gig hard drive. 60gig vid ipod. Canon 1D MKIII
So my powerbook G4 finally took its last breath. I decided to bite the bullet and upgrade to the 17" 2.4ghz MacBook Pro.

Heres the problem, I'm a Graphic Designer/Photographer and I have thousands of fonts I have spent alot of money on. And my new computer isnt alowing me to add any of them nto the font book. Will my new intel based machine not read or be able to use fonts from my G4? Or is there a program or plug-in I need?

I really dont want to re-buy all my fonts over again, its not cheap.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Various
You shouldn't have a problem importing the fonts as their licence doesn't physically tie them to one machine.

I would suspect a permissions problem. Select your folder and then hit [apple-i] to get info. At the bottom you will see Ownership & Permissions. Using your administrator password you can change the permissions to suit your new status. Be sure to apply to enclosed items.

If this doesn't solve your problem, try importing them into Linotype's FREE Font XPlorer, and see if this helps.

Graeme

OP
stkshftgti
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powerbook G4, 1.25 GHz 2gig DDR SDRAM, 120Gig hard drive. 60gig vid ipod. Canon 1D MKIII
Thanks, I'll try that. However, it doesnt seem like a license issue, my macbook wont even recognize the font collections.

OP
stkshftgti
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Could it be because the fonts are in a .sit file? Can I not open .sit files on my macbook pro?

OP
stkshftgti
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ha ha, I didnt have Stuffit n my new computer yet. All figured out.

I'm a n00b

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
If you have a lot of fonts then fontbook is not the ideal way of installing them.

Delete all but the pre-installed fonts from fontbook.

Download Linotype font explorer (free)

Let Font Explorer arrange your large collection of fonts - it does a fine job

Reaction score
Hey

Im having a problem downloading fonts and installing them. The Ext. to the files are HQX and i cannot seem to open them. and my .SIT files wont work. :Grimmace: :| Geez. MAC book takes time huh.. Im a NOOB! Can you tell?:D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBA. 15" MBP. iPhone 4. 3G Pad 2.
Download and install Stuffit Expander to open the 'sit' files and from what I can find out maybe the HQX files too.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.