Concern about iMac freezing

Reaction score
I want to purchase one of the new aluminum imacs but am concerned about this freezing issue.

I want to go with the 20" imac. Is this problem with both 20" and 24" or just 24"?

Also, I originally figured it was a driver issue but am now hearing it's a hardware issue. I've heard about some people taking it in for repair and getting a new graphics chipset. Has this been confirmed? I'd at least feel better hoping a new imac would have this newer chipset.

For freezeups is this being only experienced with older 'new generation' imacs or is this also being seen with the latest purchases? When I buy I plan to go with refurbished. I'm hoping with refurbished they would be updated to any new graphics chips.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
For those who don't like clicking links that have no explanatory text around them (we are conditioned after all to think that these could be links to malware sites), the story reports that the issue may not be software, but rather hardware, and very specifically, heat.

This would be very bad if it is the case. With an all-in-one closed case, heat is a real factor to work with. Excessive heat build up will cause any machine to freeze up, as those of us who build our own PCs know all too well (contrasting use of "heat" and "freeze" in the same sentence to describe the same issue noted in advance!).

I would be a little worried about buying an iMac until this settles out and the true cause is known. Clearly this is not a systemic issue, or ALL iMac owners would be reporting it, but clearly, this is an issue with SOME of them.

Stay tuned and watch this issue carefully. I am sure a solution will be found in the near future.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
I must be one of the lucky ones, as I've had no issues with mine thus far. But I think I might pick up Applecare for it just to be safe.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Imac 20", 2.16GHz,2Gb Ram, 256MB Graphic card. 80Gig Ipod
I dont think any of the minis are having any problems. I think anything with at ATI Radeon HD 2600 PRO is having issues

Reaction score
I had the freeze issue with my 20". I had it 20 days before I went back tot he store and told them flat out I wanted a new machine. They were great. I was in and out in less than 20 minutes. The new mac works great and Im really happy with it.

So yeah get one. If you get the freeze take it back and get another one.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" 2.8ghz IMAC, MB Pro
It is not a heat issue. Just faulty hardware. The machines that freeze can do so under the right conditions within seconds of turning on or an hour. It only affects a tiny number of imacs though so just go buy one. If it freezes take it back. Chances are you wont get one that does and if you do it should be next to impossible for you to get a second one that does given the low rate of it happening.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
I think anything with at ATI Radeon HD 2600 PRO is having issues

Except mine! It's been working flawlessly since August 7th.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" 2.8ghz IMAC, MB Pro
Anything with a radion 2600 is NOT having issues. that wording makes it sound like they all have issues. It is just that the only models that DO have this issue are models that use that video card. Seems there was a manufacturing issue on that card on some small percentage of them.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Imac 20", 2.16GHz,2Gb Ram, 256MB Graphic card. 80Gig Ipod
"Anything with a radion 2600 is NOT having issues. that wording makes it sound like they all have issues. It is just that the only models that DO have this issue are models that use that video card. Seems there was a manufacturing issue on that card on some small percentage of them."

yes, I'm sorry!! that is what i wanted to say,

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.