Double Click in cover flow opens preview behind finder?

Reaction score
Hey

Just noticed something very annoying with cover flow, When looking at images if you double click to open them in preview, say for example if you wanted to rotate the image, preview opens behind finder. What a pain in the ***!!!!

There should be a way to rotate images in quick view or in finders itself.

If anyone know how to stop this from happening please help me.

B

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
CMD+TAB, not that big of an issue IMHO.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MB White 160GB, 2GB RAM,
For opening/ closing the quick look, you just need to hit space bar.... why are you double clicking the file?

OP
B
Reaction score
My mistake i meant cover flow, not quick look.
Still bit of a pain that it opens behind, when you double click something you usually want it to open in front of things. Space bar just opens the image in quick look,

I want to rotate these images.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac 2.8 Ghz 4GB RAM OS X 10.5.1
fieruaya said it pretty well. Or you could wright your own OS software ;D

OP
B
Reaction score
so you think that it is a good thing that the image opens behind the finder window?, I just cant see why this would be useful,

CMD+TAB does not make it very fast when you have many apps open in many spaces.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Well, just did a bunch of experimenting - and it may be a glitch or not - here's what I found.

Preview
After a re-boot, the first time you double click on a picture in Cover Flow - it opens in Preview in front of Finder - from then on, any picture you double click on in Cover Flow opens behind Finder - it does not matter whether you quit Preview or not. On another re-boot, the first picture you open will once again open in front of Finder. At the same time, while you are scrolling through Cover Flow, you will notice whatever is in front is also highlighted in the list below. If you double click on the picture from the list instead of from Cover Flow, it opens in front of Finder every time.

Not only that, but after you have opened a picture, and next you want to open a pdf file. The first pdf you open by double clicking in Cover Flow will also open in Preview in front of Finder. From then on, every pdf you open until a re-boot will open behind Finder. Doesn't matter whether you quit Preview or not. But once again, clicking on it from the list, will open it in front.

TextEdit & Pages
Text files - opening an rtf or other text file, the first one you open in Cover Flow will open in front of Finder. From then on they all open behind Finder. However, if you quit the app instead of just closing the window, the next file you open will once again open in front of Finder. And just as in the case with Preview, at all times you can double click on any item from the list and it will open in front.

So, bottom line for a quick solution to your issue that works at this time, is just double click from the list instead of from Cover Flow .
And of course, there is always just the space bar for a quick look.

OP
B
Reaction score
Nice work, but bug or not? Would like to see some reasoning behind the different between clicking the cover flow and clicking the icon.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Can't answer why, but it does appear to be a bug to me.

If you watch very carefully, it appears that the file does open in front of Finder, but almost immediately moves behind. It's almost as if the 2nd click is acting in a dual purpose - not only to open the file, but also to refocus Finder as the front application. This is really noticeable with text documents.

Then again, this may be the intentional design also. Could be that one of the developers, or some of the feed back during development had someone wanting the option of opening multiple files before beginning their work. If all the methods of opening a file from Finder caused it to open in front, it would be a real pita to have to use F9 or other means to pull your Finder window back to the front to open the rest of the files you wanted everytime. I could see this as being particularly useful for when you're needing to work on multiple spreadsheets at a time. And even useful to those using the Finder to open multiple files they need for creating a presentation with Keynote.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.