Setting up wireless network

Reaction score
I currently have a Linksys wireless G router connected to my pc desktop. I sold my dell laptop that was 802.11 G, and I will be getting a new Macbook Pro in about a week. Being that it is the newer "N" WiFi card, will my old router connect? And, my wife's desktop pc has a network adapter connecting to the router, so will that degrade my laptop's connection? Would it behoove me to dump my router and get the airport N? Would I need a comparable adapter for my wife's pc desktop? How easy to set up? Whew....many issues.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.4 Santa Rosa
Your new MBP will connect just fine to a G router. Click on your airport icon, then your router, type your password and your connected.

Neo

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
white MB 2.16GHz 3GB 320GB 10.6.1
Wi-fi protocols are backwards compatible, so it can connect. For your sake, I hope it's as easy as Jerrfy makes it sound (it wasn't that easy for me). Good luck!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
It was that easy for me. Once I had my wireless router and cable modem set up, connecting my MBP was easy as choosing it from the WiFi menu.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
It should be that easy.
However, there are some routers that flat will not work.
Had a Linksys myself - with issues - Linksys tech support told me that their routers do not work with Mac's - and this from one of their supervisors. Had no Win based wifi to check it against - so ended up getting a newer d-link n router that works great.

There are a whole bunch of regulars around here that are using Linksys routers without issue. Hopefully, you'll be in that group and when you first boot up with your Mac, it'll just go through the process, ask for your password and you're up and running.

Sounds like you try to anticipate problems and be prepared for them up front. You may be over worrying. Have found that most things pretty much "just work". Since you're doing without a notebook at all right now, wouldn't worry about it until you get your MBP and see what happens. It all may be for naught.

For a little reading, you might want to check out cwa107's threads in the faq section on both networking and printing. I did end up having to get a new printer. But after my forays into Linux, I expected it. Have made the decision not to buy peripherals any longer that are not multi-OS compatible without full knowledge of that fact up front.

Reaction score
Jimbob, new here, with a new MBP and an old D Link broadband wireless router that I have only used with an ethernet cable on my old PB without wireless card. My son used it downstairs on his pc but doesn't remember the pw. When I click on the airport link a network with my name comes up and requires a password, which I don't have a clue what it is. Is there anyway to reprogram my current router or should I just bite the bullet and go buy a new one.

bobtomay what D link n router are you using with no problem? Thanks everyone.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Am using this one.

You should be able to go into the router settings and get the network password.

OP
jacintosh
Reaction score
Should I change?

I currently have a Linksys G router. It connects to my pc desktop with an ethernet connection. I had a pc laptop connecting through my Comcast modem and the router. I sold the pc laptop and will be getting my Macbook Pro tomorrow. Is there anything I should do? Does it pay to buy the new Airport with "N"? What, if any, is the advantage of just having a modem/router?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core Duo 20", iBook G4, iPhone 8GB :)
No need to change your current setup. Should work fine. Only get a new 'n' router if you really need one...

OP
jacintosh
Reaction score
Worked just fine. Found my connection immediately. I only wish it would find my pc printer!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Reaction score
Is there anyway to reprogram my current router or should I just bite the bullet and go buy a new one.

There is a username/password to access the router and then there is your network key(or password)....
...If you don't have either of those... then you can reset the router:

http://support.dlink.com/faq/view.asp?prod_id=976&question=reset+router

How do I reset my router back to the factory default settings?

To perform a reset, please follow steps below:

Step 1 With the unit on, place a paper clip into the hole on the back on the unit labeled Reset.

reset.gif

Step 2 Hold paper clip down for 10 seconds and release.

Note: Do not repower unit during this procedure.

Step 3 The unit will reboot on its own. Once the WLAN light stops blinking, the unit is reset.

Resetting the router does not reset the firmware to an earlier version. It will change all settings back to factory defaults.

Note: The factory defaults username is admin, and there is no password.

If you have the European version of this router, this procedure may not work. Please consult the D-Link office near you. D-Link USA does not support the European version.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.