• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Buy MBP in NY, save money as European?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro
I've come up with a plan to save myself some money. One euro is almost 1.5$ now and my plan is to buy a MBP in NY, and with the money I save I might be able to pay my trip. Conclusion: I enjoy a 'free' citytrip to NY.
BUT, the reason I'm telling you this is.
First:
Is it possible to use an american MBP in Europe, I'm not sure about the superdrive. Is it like a DVD-Player with regions, can it read my "european" DVD's etc.?
Second:
Can I just go into the Apple Store and buy a MBP and pay with cash or should I order it before I go there? I plan on going just 2-3 days. So, I can't wait for 4 days or longer.

Reaction score
Im sure you could probably get it to play european DVDs ect but i think you would get charged an huge amount on tax for bring it back. I dont know if that would happen in Belgium but bring it into the UK you would get charged loads. You could chuck the box in NY though and make it look like you havent just bought it.

OP
Sennec
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro
K thx, "You could chuck the box in NY though and make it look like you havent just bought it.", I'd probably do that.
Anyone else? There's still my second question.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.