processor upgrade?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP, 2.2 GHz, 2gb RAM, 120gb HD
hey, is it possible to upgrade the processor.. lets say i have a 2.2 mbp and want to upgrade to the 2.6 processor.. is that possible?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White Macbook 2.4ghz, 2gb ram, 160gb hd,superdrive, OSX Leopard
i dont think so, but i could be wrong. Hope im wrong

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
See Sig...
Practically speaking (read: as far as you, I and the rest of the world are concerned), no it is not possible. Apple has chosen to solder the CPUs in their notebooks for some time, rather than using a socket for them like most computers (including most notebooks) do. This serves two purposes for Apple; one, it ensures that end users are forced to buy a new machine rather than upgrade their existing one (which makes the bean counters very happy indeed), and two, it reduces the overall height of the processor by a bit, which allows them to make the notebook a little bit thinner.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White Macbook 2.4ghz, 2gb ram, 160gb hd,superdrive, OSX Leopard
there u go..........

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Practically speaking (read: as far as you, I and the rest of the world are concerned), no it is not possible. Apple has chosen to solder the CPUs in their notebooks for some time, rather than using a socket for them like most computers (including most notebooks) do

Funny thing about this all is the CPU in the Core Duo mini is in a socket. I have not checked the Core 2 Duo Minis, but the ones before were socketed which is very nice as you could upgrade to a C2D of faster speed quite easily. Maybe the reason is like your 2nd point trying to keep the height down so they can make the case even thinner. Just a guess.

OP
husky
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP, 2.2 GHz, 2gb RAM, 120gb HD
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" matte screen MBP 2.6GHz - 7200RPM 200G
Speaking from the perspective of the manufacturer and the electronics industry as a whole - Socketed IC's are a nightmare for a number of reasons other than those already pointed out;
1) Sockets will ultimately have poor connections as the heat/cool cycles cause the pins and contacts to wear. This results in intermittant failures which are primary causes of failure and warranty returns.

2) Sockets do not transfer heat as well as soldered connections therefore the IC will run hotter as it cannot dissipate as much heat through the PCB as another sink.

3) Sockets are expensive in comparison to soldered connections which causes a direct impact on profit.

Now as to the potential to upgrade - that would depend on a number of things.
Does the 2.6 gHz chip;
* Run at a different voltage?
* Have the same form factor?
* Have the same pin-out?
* Have it's own Clock so as to not need clock input from the motherboard?
* Is existing heat sink and available cooling sufficient to support the new IC?

Lots of questions.. Few answers...

Regards - Randy

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.