Parallels, Bootcamp or Both

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 2.2Ghz
I have a new Macbook with the following stats:

2.2 GHz
1 GB Ram
120GB HD

I was wondering if i should install windows through Parallels or Bootcamp or both? I need to have access to some windows apps such as, Photoshop, Word, Excel, and a few astronomy programs. I do not plan on playing any graphic intensive games. Will parallels be enough or do I need to get into Bootcamp for performance issues with this computer?

Thanks,
--> Sam D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook/iphone/ipod nano/ipod shuffle
will you be running windows vista or windows xp? If you are running vista you may want to run it in boot camp due to the memory requirements for it. if you are running xp you can do so in either bootcamp or vista with out a problem.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 2.2Ghz
I knew I would forgot some morsel of needed info!! I will be running XP.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 20" C2D 2.4 GHz 2GB + iPod shuffle
Well, for gaming I would recommend installing bootcamp. I think Parallers won't get your games running with good performance. At least if these games are fairly new with good graphics. If you're not playing then Parallers. Oh and I think your memory should be 1 Gb...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2.2GHz Santa Rosa Macbook Pro - 4GB Ram - 120GB HD OS X Leopard - Windows XP
I say both
Use bootcamp when you want to run windows native or maybe play a game
Use VMware Fusion when you quickly want to access a windows application

VMware will automatically detect your bootcamp partition, so you will not have to install windows two times

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 2.2Ghz
Ok Guys,

Why VMWare Fusion over Parallels?

As for detecting the Bootcamp partition, so does Parallels. Unfortunately you have to reactive windows in Parallels. There is no work around! According to Parallels Tech support you nned to have a second lisence!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.4Ghz
This thread was exactly what i was after, I ran boot camp on tiger, but I need to be able to use both Leopard and Vista at the same time so which one is the best, VM or Parallels?
Also I've heard there were some issues when upgrading to Leopard with the Windows drives. I have not started my computer in Windows mode yet, anyone who have experienced any problems since leopard upgrade, for the windows side then?

Cheers

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.4/2GB/200HD/256 8600gt
i see parallels team is offering a 25$ apple gift card with purchase of parallels.

think ill bite, and get 25$ off a new case for the new 2.2 with 4GB of ram :)

i run a xp pro VM in parallels trial. the driver issue is present for me as well. leopard cd does not cut it.

Reaction score
is it possible to use the same windows xp for parallel and Boot camp?

yes. It works great.
it boots up your windows in your parallels and you just hit alt+enter to change between (full screen) or you can just have windows open inside a window.

Reaction score
I mean use the same XP copy for both parallels and boot camp? I think the program you are describing is just parallels....

Or are you saying parallels is connected to boot camp?

Reaction score
Your parallels can boot up your boot camp OS (in your case XP).

You install windows with boot camp, then when you run parallels it opens up the same install of windows.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.