I Tried to install Mac OS X 10.4 but I cant: It said: Mac OS X cannot be installed on

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I have a iBook clamshell G3.
Here the specs:
iBook G3 (July 21, 1999) – First iBook (Tangerine)
12.1-inch Active-matrix TFT Display (800x600 max resolution)
PowerPC G3 300 MHz
66 MHz bus
128 MB RAM (soldered to logic board)
3 GB Hard Disk (ATA-33 Controller)
CD-ROM
USB, Ethernet
Mac OS 10.3.9
I tried to install Mac OS X 10.4 but a window pop-up and said that: Max OS X 10.4 cannot be install on this computer: See the list of compatible computer. Why can't I install Mac OS X 10.4?
Need help
Thank you
Frank

M

MacHeadCase

Is this a full retail install Tiger CD set or are you trying to use an install disk that came with another Mac?

Also according to the minimum system requirements you don't have enough RAM and does your iBook have built-in FireWire? That's one of the requirements for Tiger...

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Is this a full retail install Tiger CD set or are you trying to use an install disk that came with another Mac?

Also according to the minimum system requirements you don't have enough RAM and does your iBook have built-in FireWire? That's one of the requirements for Tiger...

I am pretty sure you just hit the nail on the head. I remember when I got tiger the night it came out, you had to have a Mac with Firewire and a DVD Drive. I am pretty sure Tiger will not install on that first Clamshell. I will check around to be sure.

Reaction score
I have 2 orig. ibooks and also found out that 10.4 (retail) wouldn't install on them. Yes because they don't have a firewire port. I have read however, that the can run 10.4. My only thought is to take out that 3 GB HD and install a larger one, as you'll need it for an OS of that size. You might want to try to install on the new larger HD while it is NOT in the ibook. If you have an external firewire drive you wouldnt mind opening up. You could put a HD in it, install 10.4 on it, remove it from the external device, and now physically install the 10.4 loaded HD in the ibook G3. Not sure if that will work but would get you around the no firewire thing. I saw this as too much of a hassle and am running 10.3.9 on both g3 ibooks.

OP
F
Reaction score
Hi, I have a 30GB HD on my iBook and I dont have any firewire port. I think I will sell it(iBook) and buy another mac with all the requirements to install 10.4 or 10.5.
Thank you folks!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.