Mac Security

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 17" 2.4Ghz C2D 2GB 667MHz DDR2 SDRAM
Coming from windows I am conscious that I want to keep maintainenace and security in good shape.

With installing/un-installing software, do I still have to worry about defragmenting and cleaning my register?

Also does anyone know of any checks/online check I can take my mac through. I am getting the odd pop up on safari here?

Do i need any addition firewall/antivirus/anti-malware software just to be sure?

Thanks you guys
N

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 inch Macbook Pro Retina, 2.7ghz, 128gb SSD
On the whole you don't need to maintain your mac after uninstalling software.

This is because when you install an app, its usually just a container (.app) and most of the files which are associated with that piece of software are within that container. Other files do get installed elsewhere on your mac(usually the library folder) but there harmless and don't slow down your computer because they are only used if the applications is running.

On the other hand, you do get applications which install via a .pkg installer. These apps use the .pkg installer because it needs to put more files around your HD, not just in the container. These applications require an uninstaller, most of the time its transfered into the applications folder, otherwise just check out the developers website and they should have instructions on how to uninstall the application

If you have a hardware firewall on your router than you don't need one on your mac. If you don't then you'll have to enable the firewall in System Preferences.

You don't need antimalware or antivirus software on your mac. However companies like Norton do provide of antivirus software for macs. These is so that you don't pass on windows viruses via your network or email unintentionally. The windows malware and viruses can not harm Mac OS X because there written for Windows, not for Mac OS X.

I personally just use ClamXav. It's an opensource antivirus software. I use it about once a month to ensure that I don't pass on any viruses onto my PC on my network.

Reaction score
. . . do I still have to worry about defragmenting and cleaning my register?
Defrag info on this board can be found here, and here, two of numerous posts on the subject.

Macs don't have a register, so the problem doesn't exist.
Also does anyone know of any checks/online check I can take my mac through. I am getting the odd pop up on safari here?
Make sure your browser's popup control is set to off. A couple of security-check sites are here and here. Use them with the firewall turned on, then turned off (if you aren't using a router).
Do i need any addition firewall/antivirus/anti-malware software just to be sure?
This link is to The Official Mac AntiVirus and Firewall FAQ in the Switcher Forum, but there's firewall info starting at Post 96 on this page. It's worth reading the entire thread — and all the FAQ threads.

Quick and dirty: There are NO Mac viruses, and any Mac anti-virus program looks for Windows viruses only, useful only if your machine is on a network that includes Windows machines that don't have their own anti-virus apps.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black macbook 2.16ghz 2GB Ram 160GB hdd | 8Gb Ipod Nano
some programs will install some files in different locations on your hard drive. This means that with these programs when you just remove the program file there may be traces of the program left. This can be overcome by simply removing programs with an application. I use AppZapper and i find it to be a very small, neat and usefull program to use.

OP
F
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 17" 2.4Ghz C2D 2GB 667MHz DDR2 SDRAM
brill , thx guys.

Just needed to post to get it straight in my mind!!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.