111 Gigabyte temp file. WHooooo-aaat

F

fleiva83

Hello.
Something bizzare is happening.
A user at work has mac os 10.3.4. There's a temp file in Private / tmp / 416-4118991f - 84f50 - mm1z5z that has grown to 111 Gigs!!!!
I deleted the file and all files in the tmp directory but the following morning the file along with about two dozen other tmp files came back. which left me with 400 mb of space left in my 160gig drive.
I deleted the files again.
The offending file is a tmp file from a OS 9 classic app, MacMoney, which hasn't been run in months.

I stopped OS 9 for now but to see if the problem comes up tomorrow morning.

Anyone have any ideas as to why this is happening?

Do you think reloading OS 9 would be a good idea?

many thanks//// :)

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
I would reboot the system, to ensure that some of the daemon, did not get out of hand.

OP
F

fleiva83

rman said:
I would reboot the system, to ensure that some of the daemon, did not get out of hand.

rebooting did clear out the contents of the tmp folder but they came back eventually.. I checked the edit dates of the files and they all said "today at 8 am" or close to that time.
I checked Norton Scheduler and the only thing I have scheduled is to run in the morning is defrag at 4 am. Is there another sort of scheduled task I should be checking? maybe an os 9 app schceduled to run in the morning is causing this. Where can I check this?

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
I would disable the defrag routine, for a couple of days. Just to see if that is causing the problem.

Are you running the journal file system in Panther. If so you don't need to defrag.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.