Cursor is HUGE. spacing in everything is messed up.

Reaction score
Using the mac app Mail....everything is spaced out and very messed up.

I've attached a screen shot of a message being composed, and you will see the size of the text is normal, but when you do a hard return, it jumps down about 10 lines. In the screenshot, you can see how large the cursor is below the 2 lines of text....what's causing this?

hugecursor.jpg

Reaction score
I see this when I'm replying to an email and the original body usually has this line which sort of indents it just a little. You should be able to backspace over it or highlight/delete it.

On the other hand, if you're not replying to an email then the cursor size is dictated by the font size .... this could be a strange one in that case if you haven't altered the font size ...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ibook g4, imac 2ghz c2d, mbp 2.4ghz c2d - 10.5.1
is the font size going up when you type with the big cursor ?

OP
N
Reaction score
Problem solved!

I opened up TextEdit and noticed it was the exact same way when I typed.

I changed fonts, from Helvetica to something else, and it was perfect. That told me almost immediately that Helvetica was corrupted in some way.

so, I opened up Font Book, right clicked on Helvetica, clicked on Validate Font and it came up with a little orange exclamation point.

I went to another Mac, went into the fonts folder and copied the Helvetica font onto a thumb drive, and then brought it over to the other computer and overwrote the corrupt Helvetica font...and that did the trick :D

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Nice work of troubleshooting there!!

And thanks for posting back your fix.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Yes, very good troubleshooting job there! Thanks for sharing.

That was the only thing I could think of that could cause your issue. Glad it's fixed!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.