• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Tapeless camcorders and the Mac

Reaction score
I just read the "Tapeless camcorders and the Mac" article that is posted
on MacWorld. See it here, http://www.macworld.com/weblogs/editors/2007/06/tapeless/index.php

I borrowed a friends Sony that uses a hard drive and he told me that the MiniDV tapes were on there way out and the harddrive camcorders were the way to go. I used it and liked it; however, it did not like my PowerBook and iMovie HD. From help on this forum I downloaded a free program and a 19.99 program (MPEG Streamclip is free and Apple's QuickTime MPEG-2 Playback Component )from apple.com...those together allowed me to convert the video files on the Sony harddrive to a dv file that iMovie can use.

My question...because I am now going to by my own camcorder. Should I go with a miniDV camcorder or a harddrive camcorder and use the conversion software?

Thanks for any advice,
TC

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini 2.7 GHz Intel Core i7 and a 15" MacBook Pro 2.33GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 2 GB 667Mhz DDR2 SDRAM
I have a miniDV camcorder (Canon Elura 100). I love it!! I don't know all that much about hard drive camcorders, so I can only speak from personal experience. I love the fact that I have tapes to organize and archive my data the old fashioned way. I also like the lower price that miniDV camcorders go for as compared to HD camcorders. Besides that, I don't know what else to tell you. Hope it helps...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP 2.0 GHz, Core Duo, 2 GB Ram
I can only say to you what I've told others. If you have access to a laptop mac, take it with you to the camera store, and ask to connect each one to import video from them and make sure they work with mac.

See which works best for you, and which is easiest for you. Buy that one.

If the store won't let you do this, go to a different store that will, and at the next store explain that you came to them because the previous store wouldn't let you try it out before you buy it.

Best,

Brian

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
iMovie 08 maybe able to handle that camera. It is designed to also use tapeless cameras. I like bmcgonag's idea of taking a laptop to the store.

This Apple tutorial demonstrates how iMovie 08 works to import video.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminum iMac
I have a Sony HD and upgraded to iMovie 08 specifically to fix the problem of video importing and iMovie 08 did nothing for me. The Sony HD still does not work with the Mac. Luckily I also have a PC that will work with it.

The idea of taking the laptop to the store is a good one. As a general rule now, I will stay clear of Sony and JVC.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
EasternCanuck, what model of Sony HD camera do you have?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.