Slow Ext HDD - Disk Utility Says All OK

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16GHz Macbook Pro, 2GB RAM, OSX v10.5
Hi All,

Since upgrading to Leopard, my Iomega 500GB External Hard Drive has been operating dog slow. Right now it reports that copying my 5.8GB's worth of data back to my MBP's internal drive will take >90 hours.

I ran a disk utility yesterday, and it took forever to complete. I finally went to bed after the 10th hour, and woke up to this image greeting me:

I'm not sure how the utility can think everything is OK with the disk...

Anyway, I'm not sure what to do next. Is this indicative of a hardware failure? Should I send the drive back to the manufacturer (it's less than 90 days old)? Erase and reformat? Might it be a problem caused by my Leopard upgrade (it worked great with Tiger)? Can I ever trust this drive with my data again? Can I get my data off without waiting for a 5 day copy?

Thanks in advance for your replies.

J

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2014 MacBook Pro, i7 2.5Ghz, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 6
Leopard might simply be trying to index the drive. If there is a lot of data on it, this may take a while.

However, if you left it for 10 hours over night, it should have completed that by now.

Is it connected by USB or Firewire?

OP
spilio
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It's USB2.0. And there was no data on it except about 5GB of DMG files I downloaded, and the 20GB that Time Machine (turned that off as step 1 of troubleshooting) backed up.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2014 MacBook Pro, i7 2.5Ghz, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 6
USB 2.0 is not the reason it is running slow, but you really should use Firewire. It's faster, uses less CPU and IMO, more stable on OS X.

OP
spilio
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well, I formatted the drive on my PC, and it works like a dream... Guess the issue is with Leopard... I'll pursue this in the proper forum...

Thanks for the replies.

Mods - feel free to close.

Thanks!

J

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.