VGA Problems

Reaction score
Hi
I have recently left VIsta PC behing and bought a shiny white MacBook.
I took the MacBook to a hotel so I could connect it to the hotels 2 plasma screens for an exhibit, the plasmas are connected together with a VGA splitter, then the plasmas haveDVI-VGA addapted so they can see the signal,
So I get out my mini-dvi to VGA adapted plug it in mirror my desktop and no signal!!!

This was VERY embarrassing cos it made me look like a fool for buying a mac (we tried with a regular PC laptop and it worked fine).

What happened was that my MacBook tried talking DVI to the screens over a VGA cable and not surprisingly it didn't work, it should have just seen the plasma screens as a standard display.

I am going to go back and try again, what do u guys suggest I do (v important)?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Lenovo Z560 Hackintosh -:- '06 iMac -:- iPod Touch 2ndGen
Go into System Preferences, Displays and choose Detect Displays. You also might need to press the function key which switches between the internal and external displays.

This isn't a Mac problem - it does work. I use an external display constantly.

Reaction score
im not entirely sure, but since my monitor does dvi and vga, it has a switch over button where i can go back and forth from dvi to vga. it may be different for a plasma tv.

also, is it possible for the macbook to handle dual displays with its gfx card. although maybe it really isnt dual if its split, and then mirrored.

OP
N
Reaction score
knightlie - I connected up the display to my MacBook and pressed "detect displays" sevral time OS X would not recognise the display as a standard VGA monitor only as a DVI TV which is not compatable with the cabe I was using?

maanico1 - I tried streached desktop and mirroring on every screen res and colour depth

I have connected it to a PC monitor and that works before

Any ideas

Reaction score
are you trying to say stretched? (im not being an a-hole, i just dont really know what you mean)

how big is the plasma, atleast 40 inches no?

im gonna stand by my answer that the gfx card cant push out enough, considering that it works on a regular monitor (how big is the monitor btw?)

hopefully someone more knowledgable can explain whether or not mirrored requires a bigger gfx card

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Lenovo Z560 Hackintosh -:- '06 iMac -:- iPod Touch 2ndGen
knightlie - I connected up the display to my MacBook and pressed "detect displays" sevral time OS X would not recognise the display as a standard VGA monitor only as a DVI TV which is not compatable with the cabe I was using?

In that case perhaps the TV is not compatible with the cable you are using...

I'm not being a jerk here, but perhaps it really isn't compatible...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.