XP installation loop

Reaction score
I installed xpsp2 and I get to the point were it needs to restart, it restarts then I get a message:

Press any key to boot from CD...... (if I do so, it goes through the same procedure)

If I don't press any key I get the following error:

Disk error
Press any key to restart

Nothing happens, it's a loop I am going through and I cannot get passed that.

What's going on?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 20" C2D 2.4 GHz 2GB + iPod shuffle
That sound weird... can you boot to OS X?. When you hear the start sound from your Mac, keep the option key (fn) pressed for a boot menu. Choose OS X. I would try to reinstall Windows, just remember to use bootcamp assistant for that.

OP
C
Reaction score
Solution

I found this solution:

Mac OS X 10.5, Boot Camp: Windows XP displays "Disk Error" message during initial setup
Issue or symptom
If you attempt to install Microsoft Windows XP without first formatting a partition, this alert message will appear in Windows XP:

"Press any key to boot from CD. Disk Error. Press any key to restart".

Products affected
Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard
Boot Camp 2.0
Windows XP (any version)
Solution
After creating a Windows partition in Boot Camp 2.0 in Mac OS X 10.5, then rebooting from the Windows XP installer CD, be sure that you format the Windows partition before continuing with the rest of the Windows XP setup process.

Important: Do not use the option named "Leave the current file system intact (no changes)".

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP - 24" white iMac - 16gb white iphone3G - 20gb iPod colour
I was just about to post the very same question about getting the error when installing windows? When do I format the bootcamp drive? I have created a partition then tryt to boot from my xp disk I cannot get to the drive format screen or have I past it?

cheers

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
well I've had no problems installing xp on my imac and macbookpro when I had tiger but since upgrading to loepard it just aint happening? I keep getting the disk error msg. I use bootcamp assistant to partition drive then it ask's me to put xp disk in then it reboots and installs xp setup assistant I choose the bootcamp drive to install xp in checks my drive then reboots and I get the error msg. So what I'm I doing wrong? Cus this has never happened to me in tiger.

cheers

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2.2GHz Santa Rosa Macbook Pro - 4GB Ram - 120GB HD OS X Leopard - Windows XP
have you selected a filesystem to format your partition with in your xp setup?

OP
C
Reaction score
I was finaly able to install XPSP2 last night, two mistakes I made. The first mistake was not formating the hard drive I was clicking on leave the current system intact, second was I was pressing a key after the first restart.

Quick solution

1. Format (Quick) the hard drive to either NTFS or FAT32
2. Don't click whem prompt "Press any key to boot from CD...... " after it restarts the first time, if you do you will go through the same procedure over and over. Let it boot automatically. I didn't see this note on the boot camp manual, so be careful on this step.

The rest is just to install the drivers off the Leopard disk, just insert the disk, click install and let it run, DO NOT click on any window, just let it do it's thing, it will let you know onced it's finished and it might need a restart.

Cheers!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm not even getting to the format drive bit? Heres what I'm doing:

1. With bootcamp I make a partition
2. When completed I insert my XP disk and click on the "start installation button"
3. iMac restarts and windows setup begins
4. The select partitioned drive screen appears and I select drive C: (partitioned3 BOOTCAMP FAT32)
5. Setup examines disk
6. Setup copies files to the windows installation folders
7. System restarts and black appears and says press any key to boot from CD
8. I DONT press any key and after about 5 seconds the error msg appears saying "Disk error press any key to restart". No key will restart MBP so i have to hold power button in to restart.

So what I'm I doing wrong. The above is exatcly what I do. has worked before in tiger but not in leopard? Ideas?

cheers

OP
C
Reaction score
I'm not even getting to the format drive bit? Heres what I'm doing:

1. With bootcamp I make a partition
2. When completed I insert my XP disk and click on the "start installation button"
3. iMac restarts and windows setup begins
4. The select partitioned drive screen appears and I select drive C: (partitioned3 BOOTCAMP FAT32)
5. Setup examines disk
6. Setup copies files to the windows installation folders
7. System restarts and black appears and says press any key to boot from CD
8. I DONT press any key and after about 5 seconds the error msg appears saying "Disk error press any key to restart". No key will restart MBP so i have to hold power button in to restart.

So what I'm I doing wrong. The above is exatcly what I do. has worked before in tiger but not in leopard? Ideas?

cheers

I think you are skipping a step, lets call this step 5 from yours, bumping your step 5 to skip and so forth.

4. The select partitioned drive screen appears and I select drive C:
(partitioned3 BOOTCAMP FAT32)

5. Format (Quick) the hard drive to either NTFS or FAT32

See link for screenshot and go to page 13, there is no instruction, just a screenshot

http://manuals.info.apple.com/en/Boot_Camp_Install-Setup.pdf

Also, if you are using a slipstreamed XPSP2? I didn't have success with the one I made so I just bought one.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I think you are skipping a step, lets call this step 5 from yours, bumping your step 5 to skip and so forth.

4. The select partitioned drive screen appears and I select drive C:
(partitioned3 BOOTCAMP FAT32)

5. Format (Quick) the hard drive to either NTFS or FAT32

See link for screenshot and go to page 13, there is no instruction, just a screenshot

http://manuals.info.apple.com/en/Boot_Camp_Install-Setup.pdf

Also, if you are using a slipstreamed XPSP2? I didn't have success with the one I made so I just bought one.

This could be the problem then as I'm using a slipstreamed xpsp2 disk. Your step 5 never shows up when I install xp???? Like I said this has never happened to me when using bootcamp in tiger but with leopard it just keeps happening. i just find it very strange how the format screen never shows up??? Obviously this is the problem as my bootcamp partition is not being formated. Hmmmmm shall I invest in another copy of xp thats what I've gotta decide now.

cheers

OP
C
Reaction score
I would try setting up bootcamp again then installing the XP. If that fails, I would also do a clean install of Leopard, then setup bootcamp and then Windows. Don't forget to do a backup of your information.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I would try setting up bootcamp again then installing the XP. If that fails, I would also do a clean install of Leopard, then setup bootcamp and then Windows. Don't forget to do a backup of your information.

Done that 3 times now and still the same problem mate. For some reason my windows setup just skips the format screen???? Done it at least 3 times on my iMac and MBP and always the same problem. Every time I've always done a erase and install. really wanted to try call of duty 4 aswell!!!

cheers

OP
C
Reaction score
If I understand correctly your XP was working fine before upgrading to Leopard? You are using the same slipstream cd right that you installed before your upgrade? If so your slipstreamed xp should be okay. You might not be formating the whole HD, and could still be partitioned into two. Simply reinstalling Leopard doesn't delete the partition into one. Try this, when you boot from your leopard dvd... go to "utilities" on top and then disk utility. Then simply "erase" the partitions and restore them to a journaled partition. What you are looking for is the "partition" tab. make the volume back into one partition by deleting one, then be sure to save it. id recommend a quick format after that before you install Leopard. Then run bootcamp, I divided the HD equally. Install xp as usual, then you should see step 5 from above.

Let me know how it goes.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Every time I've reinstalled leopard i've always used bootcamp assistant to delete my bootcamp partition. i did the same when installing leopard from tiger so I cant see that being the problem. I dont really want to keep erasing and installing stuff again as it cant be good for the hard drive.

cheers

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If only bootcamp beta still worked! Anyway I've gone back to Tiger on my MBP (in leopard it never shut down), but I've kept leopard on my iMac. Apart from my bootcamp problem it's great. Things run alot faster. Wonder if apple will ever let us tiger users use bootcamp again?

cheers

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well abit of good news at last. managed to get bootcamp to work but only in tiger on my mbp, leopard is still a no go. But at least I can now play call of duty 4:)

cheers

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.