Airport on my powerbook won't connect when my WEP key is 64-bit

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 2.6ghz Quad Xeon, 23" Cinema
I'm having this problem, my company has d-link wireless router for our DSL, and it was originally wide open with no WEP key required. I reccomended to my boss that he let me enable the WEP key feature so our connection is more secure. I was able to get it to work with all the laptops in the office with a 128-bit key, but this particular model has documented connection drops when using 128-bit (POS d-link), so i switched to 64-bit. All the computers can connect except for my powerbook, it gives me a "can't connect" error. I know i'm typing the key in properly. Has this happened to anyone else? Currently I'm using the wired network (blah!)

OP
G
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 2.6ghz Quad Xeon, 23" Cinema
I got it to work, I just chose the 40/128-bit encryption...not sure why because I have it setup with 64. For those of you that might have this problem in the future...

Reaction score
powerbook wont connect to network using wep

I'm having this problem, my company has d-link wireless router for our DSL, and it was originally wide open with no WEP key required. I reccomended to my boss that he let me enable the WEP key feature so our connection is more secure. I was able to get it to work with all the laptops in the office with a 128-bit key, but this particular model has documented connection drops when using 128-bit (POS d-link), so i switched to 64-bit. All the computers can connect except for my powerbook, it gives me a "can't connect" error. I know i'm typing the key in properly. Has this happened to anyone else? Currently I'm using the wired network (blah!)

I was having the same issue after upgrading my router to a new Netgear wnr3500 router. After doing alot of searching, i found that if you put a $ in front of your WEP key, it will allow you to connect to your network. I thought it would be too easy a solution, but to my suprise, it actually worked and i haven't had a problem since.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.