Weird sound whe i open the lid of my New Macbook from sleep

Reaction score
I get a weird sound ( might be that of a hard drive or disk drive ).... when i lift the lid of Macbook after it goes into sleep & also when i switch my computer on..
i have no cd in the disk drive .....

Is this sound normal for all .

Sound is just for a second .... sounds something like harsh camera click (sound when the reel inside the camera rotates after a snap )
Is it an issue ? or just a normal behavior ?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.4 Santa Rosa
I get a weird sound ( might be that of a hard drive or disk drive ).... when i lift the lid of Macbook after it goes into sleep & also when i switch my computer on..
i have no cd in the disk drive .....

Is this sound normal for all .

Sound is just for a second .... sounds something like harsh camera click (sound when the reel inside the camera rotates after a snap )
Is it an issue ? or just a normal behavior ?

I believe its the DVD drive cycling or whatever...my macbook did it and so do the 2 MBP's i have now.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP w/Intel Core 2 Duo w/Lion, MBA w/Lion, 80GB iPod Video, 32GB iPhone 4, Two 32GB iPads
Mine does it too. I'm pretty sure it's normal.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1.3 powerbook, OSx 10.4
Yeah, this is normal - the drive's eject/grab mechanism cycles to ensure there's no disc stuck half way. I think this is the noise you describe - the same as when you insert/eject a disc.

Think like the drive - when it wakes up it is in an unknown state (who knows what two year old has visited since going to sleep) and has to reset itself to a known state (actually sounds much like my own mornings).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" Mac Book Pro 2.4GHz HD display, Wacom I3 , WD myBook 500G, intel mac mini, 24"imac(white)
does any one have an actual noise when you open the lid a sort of scraping noise some1 i know has that problem and woundered if it was really bad

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Macbook C2D 1GB RAM
does any one have an actual noise when you open the lid a sort of scraping noise some1 i know has that problem and woundered if it was really bad
I think I heard that a couple of times one day. But I've never heard it again since.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.