Leopard is great, but needs updates... right?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.0 Ghz, 1GB
I've been enjoying my upgrade from Tiger to Leopard on my MacBook. I really think it's a big move forward. However, I have had some bugs as listed below...

- desktop icons disappear but reappearing after a restart
- time machine total freeze up
- cancel and restore button of time machine interface totally disapearing
- having to log in 2 times after waking from sleeping

Anyone else having any similar 'glitches?' I did the simple install so I wouldn't have to reinstall all my apps. Maybe I'll have to do the clean sometime.

These bugs don't ruin my day, but I have had about 2 of them a day for the past week.

Tim

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBP, 2.26GHz, 8gb RAM
I'm not getting any of those issues. I'm not using Time Machine though. I might if I had an external hard drive... maybe two. I also did the achive & install so that might.

Only bugs I've had so far is:
- Network loses connection frequently (AirPort)
- Transfering things from my USB to my hard drive... gets a few mb over but then there's an error and I have to relaunch Finder =\

Reaction score
I am not getting any issues but the UI is not complete so:
-iTunes 7 scrollbars, buttons, etc.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
See Signature
I wish they'd issue an airport update. Not being able to easily switch networks is a real pain...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro w/ 2.4 GHz C2D, 4 GB RAM, 250 GB
I hate the new network apps. I hate that Internet Connect is gone and my AirPort isn't showing all the networks available.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
See Signature
Though, to be fair the airport issue is all i have "wrong" with Leopard (or Leeepurd, as the hispanic guy at Future Shop called it...lol) Also I've read that soon 10.5.1 will be out and it is now already in the hands of testers, so I can put up with these minor inconveniences and wait for this new .1 update

Reaction score
Still a Happy Mac Cult member.. BUT.. They kept this OS for 5 months after the original release date for no good reason other then for a boost in sales in the 4th 1/4 of the year. In that time any of the issue that we are having should have been fixed. I have called apple on a few issues and the answers each time I felt they had no idea of what the problem was. Which is very odd being apple is normally on the ball. And Well Versed in there Programs I would cut them slack if they did not hold the OS for a late release. I dont remember this manny issues with panther and tiger maybe i have grown to expect more form apple or this time more problems effect my machines were as in the past I may have lucked out.

But with the Issues
Apple is Still Soooo much better then other option for an OS

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" 2.8ghz IMAC, MB Pro
Do a clean install and your problems will go away. Unless you have buggy hardware that is...

Del

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 2xQuad core 2.8GHZ
Only woes im having are with downloads on a WIFI connection - same connection, on same computer, at same distance from router on Tiger had no problems, but under Leopard it keep dropping the connection before the download completes. VERY annoying!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black macbook 2.16ghz 2GB Ram 160GB hdd | 8Gb Ipod Nano
I have had Leopard installed for a few days and haven't really noticed any bugs. Mind i haven't really noticed many new things either (apart from some of the obvious)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I did a clean install and I AM having issues with AirPort. It used to show 7 or 8 networks (i live in an apartment) in the drop down menu and now it usually only shows 1. It's not even reliable at holding onto that network. It always seems to happen at the most inopportune times that the only networks it can find are other password protected networks, but has no recollection of my wireless router sitting 15 feet away. It has nothing to do with the router or the hardware, as it works fine in XP. It's just frustrating, but I have every confidence that they will fix it soon with an update. I'm sure I'm not the only person having these issues.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.2GHZ Macbook Pro - 4GB RAM - 500GB HD
My mouse is hung after I wake up from sleep. This never happened on my old MB with Tiger. It literally takes like 2 minutes before the touchpad is activated after sleep. Wierd.

T

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.33ghz 2 Gb RAM 160GB 17" Glossy...
okay, they definitely need to improve spotlight as it is nowhere near as efficient as it once was. Also, safari needs some improving as well as it will sometimes load pages and then lose the connection. The issue though of not having internet connection is TOTALLY RIDICULOUS, and what if you don't use ethernet??? like when I am in Europe in Greece or Italy i use a modem connection and now what am i supposed to do?? use a secondary software option to connect to the internet through a modem connection???

thanks, but this seems a bit stupid sometimes when you really look at the bugs that are problematic...

Del

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 2xQuad core 2.8GHZ
okay, they definitely need to improve spotlight as it is nowhere near as efficient as it once was.

actually i find spotlight does its job sooooo much faster under Leopard, and others have commented on that too

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.4/2GB/200HD/256 8600gt
Problems im having:

Icons on desktop sometime go bye bye.
External USB 120 2.5" is only available if plugged in at bootup.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have noticed desktop icons disappearing also. The only one that never disappears is "Macintosh HD".

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Finally my Family Pack arrived and all 5 Macs are updated. I have not had any issues with icons going away. One machine has been running Leopard since the day it was released. Not one icon has disappeared. I don't know why others are seeing this as you think with all my machines one would do it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 13" Mid-2015.
Thats odd. The only one that disappears for me is the Macintosh HD! All new releases are buggy. I have confidence in Apple though. They only have so many hardware configurations to deal with. I am assuming a quicker fix than a Windows Box.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I hope a fix is coming very soon. I just need AirPort to be reliable.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.