Changing The Translucent Menu Bar

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBP, 2.26GHz, 8gb RAM
I'd had Leopard running for about 5 minutes and was already getting frustrated by this stupid feature. Admittedly, with some backgrounds it looks good, but with most... not. So I went looking for a program that would make it opaque. I found one called "OpaqueMenu" but it made the menu bar a flat white... very boring and un-Mac like. And then I found a better way!

Modify the wallpaper!

At the top of the wallpaper, make a gradient (of whatever colour you choose) 22px high and whatever the width of your screen is - In my case, 1440px. Make sure you do it a bit darker than what you'd expect to see because of the way the menu bar lightens whatever is behind it...

My results are attatched. By the way, I'm loving spaces... to take a screenshot I didn't need to hide/minimize all my apps! All I did was move to an empty space ^_^

Picture 1.png

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac's
Good thinking.

Reaction score
I'd had Leopard running for about 5 minutes and was already getting frustrated by this stupid feature. Admittedly, with some backgrounds it looks good, but with most... not. So I went looking for a program that would make it opaque. I found one called "OpaqueMenu" but it made the menu bar a flat white... very boring and un-Mac like. And then I found a better way!

Modify the wallpaper!

At the top of the wallpaper, make a gradient (of whatever colour you choose) 22px high and whatever the width of your screen is - In my case, 1440px. Make sure you do it a bit darker than what you'd expect to see because of the way the menu bar lightens whatever is behind it...

My results are attatched. By the way, I'm loving spaces... to take a screenshot I didn't need to hide/minimize all my apps! All I did was move to an empty space ^_^
Very nice.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.