Music skipping

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in MBP 2.5GHz Core2Duo | 1.83Ghz Dual G5 PowerMac | 2.0 GHz Dual G5 PowerMac
This is the very first problem i'm having with my iPod Nano 2nd Gen. I just put a whole new set of songs onto my MBP and onto my Nano, and this is when it started to happen. The songs just seem to skip to different random parts of the song. And it also has started to skip to different tracks without me even touching the dial. What could be happening?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15 inch 1.83. iBook G4.
what os you running? I have noticed that happening a bit since I got leopard. I run my music from an external HD though so presumed it had something to do with the network signal yo-yoing

Just to add there is a software update for itunes which says it fixes some bugs

OP
mknabster
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in MBP 2.5GHz Core2Duo | 1.83Ghz Dual G5 PowerMac | 2.0 GHz Dual G5 PowerMac
I have 10.4 Tiger for the OS

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
how were these files encoded?

I had a couple of files encoded with audacity and they skipped to the end about a quarter the way through (converted from a aiff file) with my 6 gen ipod.

I re-encoded them with max quality then re-encoded them using itunes

the skipping went away - I think some tracks not encoded using itunes are showing this problem

M

MacHeadCase

Well I had a tune bought at iTMS that would skip the song when there was still about two minutes left to the song. It played well on the iMac but not at all on the iPod, go figure.

I tried different things, in the end reinitializing/resetting the iPod as an Apple Support/Knowledge Base article said, all to no avail. I got fed up and deleted the dang song from my iPod. Till the day I was looking around in my CD collection and saw that I had the same song on a CD. Imported the song, added it to my iPOd and there is absolutely no problems with the imported song.

Reaction score
I had this problem a couple years ago, but I can't remember what I did to fix it. BTW all my songs are from CD's and the iTunes music store, mainly CD's.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
MacHeadCase?

Can we put an answer as a sticky if the encode using itunes works

Just saying because I have dealt with this issue on a number of threads, seems to be an issue with the latest ipods

Whenever I have a file encoded using Lame this issue crops up - I only hope Apple fixes it

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.