Next iPhone/iTouch update?

Reaction score
When do you guys think they'll update the iPhone (what I'm waiting for is an iphone with more than 8 gb of storage).

What about the iTouch? (again, I'm looking for more storage)...

Reaction score
I would think that the next release of the Iphone will be in Feb-March 08 after the holidays die down.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16GHz C2D MacBook w/ 2GB RAM & 120GB HD. HTC Droid Incredible.
The iPod Touch was just released. Why would they make an update so soon? It's going to be a while.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
The next iPhone and iPod touch are going to come out at Macworld 2008 and will have 64GB and 32GB of memory, all at the same prices. The touch will add Google Maps and Youtube functionality, and both the iPhone and touch will have access to official apps created using the SDK that Apple is also going to announce at Macworld.

See what I did there? I made up stuff. You know why? Because nobody can answer your question and any answers you get will sound just as ridiculous as mine did above.

Reaction score
The next iPhone and iPod touch are going to come out at Macworld 2008 and will have 64GB and 32GB of memory, all at the same prices. The touch will add Google Maps and Youtube functionality, and both the iPhone and touch will have access to official apps created using the SDK that Apple is also going to announce at Macworld.

See what I did there? I made up stuff. You know why? Because nobody can answer your question and any answers you get will sound just as ridiculous as mine did above.

I heard that it will be double the storage from what there is now for both the Touch and iPhone.

I just did exactly what Kash just did, my guess is as good as any. No one knows until apple says something the rest of us can just speculate.

OP
A
Reaction score
How could there be 3G for the iPhone in the US? Doesn't Cingular have a 5 year exclusive contract deal with AT&T?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
IMAC / Powerbook / Ipad 3

You had me going... Nice!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 1st Gen with upgraded Ram and Hard drive
I detest these types of questions. Do people really think that any company let alone Apple are going to let out their little piece of paper with their long list of future plans written on it. Sure, they are most likely planning the next gen stuff after the latest version has been released, most technology, as far as I understand it was planned years before it was released.

I think people have the insane idea that Apple spurt out product after product in quick succession and no sooner is one thing out than they want it updated pronto.

However, in my opinion, Apple have either A) delivered below the belt on the latest iPod series or B) given too many options.

Maybe it's just me, but I used to look at the Apple product line and in a few hours, know what I needed (which generally translated to what I wanted as well) and that was it. But with the 1)Shuffle 2)Nano 3)Classic 4)Touch 5)iPhone I am like a dizzy headless chicken running around THINKING I need one of them but not knowing which one to get, and in reality? for me? I need NONE of them.

Again, I stress, this is just me. But I am so badly affected by Apples genius marketing (and super sexy designing) that I am now feeling emotionally pushed into wanting something I have no need for.

I spent 2 months weaning myself off the "I need an iPod touch like my life depends on it" drug and I am pleased to say I think I am clean.

The only way I think I would be truly happy would be to own all the Apple products Apple make, and I think that is what Apple are playing at. None, but all of the products they sell are needed to sooth my thirst for their Californian designed metal and plastic cookies.

Apologies, it is late and I am tired.

However, getting back to the original post, ***I beleive the Touch is getting updated next year and will have a built in phone***, an SD card slot, sim free slot and 6G networking with a free roaming battery pack which powers your Macbook Pro. Macbooks will need the apropriate adapter to use this function which will cost £50 only available from an Apple store in Fiji which doesn't deliver.

I love Apple, I really do, but I wish they would invent the iSleeping tablet so I can get some sleep and quit imagining my PSP is an ipod Touch.

Nighty Night

***Sorry, I read the first post, and I know Kash did the ultimate funny response in a lovely sarcastic tone, but I really wanted to add the funny fact that Apple would put a phone function on the iPod Touch. See what I did there? I made it sound like the iPod Touch would be made into an iPhone, which is kind of pointless as the iPhone is kind of like the iPod Touch but whith a phone so what I was doing... A forgeddit.

My eyes hurt.

OP
A
Reaction score
Melmation- I couldn't agree with you more. I'm just like you except that I actually do need a new ipod (my current one is a monochromatic 20 gig and the battery gets 45 mins before it turns off). My verizon contract is also up in January and I'd LOVE an iphone but the storage is not enough (I'd want at least 20 gigs).

I've been going through the scenarios of apple products to get and can't decide on one. There are too many choices!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
The iPhone could be 16GB any time Apple wants to drop it in. I believe either device could be up to 32-64GB anytime Apple wants wants to add it because the extra memory doesn't take any more space, just a little more cost (well, a little more to Apple, a LOT more to us). However, the ramp up of memory and features is going to come very slowly and incrementally only after Apple has sucked every drop of potential profit from each step, just like it did with the iPods the first time around.

Everyone expects 3G next year, but I just don't see how this will come about, at least according to Apple's reasons for not having it now. Unless I'm missing something, there haven't been any advances in batteries to make a 3G iPhone run longer, so why would Apple come out with a 3G iPhone if battery life is their only reason for holding back? Personally, I think battery life is just an excuse for Apple to pursue a profit scheme (sell everyone and EDGE phone then resell everyone a 3G phone), AT&T's unwillingness to add so many devices to their small but growing 3G network, or both. I guarantee running a wifi and EDGE antenna sucks a lot more energy than a 3G antenna alone and if you had 3G you wouldn't need wifi.

But, to answer the question of the original poster is easy: 2008. If you want to know exactly when updates will come out, you just need to figure out exactly when sales of the current models will flatline. Have a nice day!

How could there be 3G for the iPhone in the US? Doesn't Cingular have a 5 year exclusive contract deal with AT&T?

I guess nobody is dignifying this comment with a response, but hey, I'm just a nice guy: AT&T (formerly Cingular) has an up and running 3G-3.5G HSDPA/UMTS network. It's not as widespread as some people want, but it's up and growing fast.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac Retina 5K/3.4GHz Core i5/256GB SSD/40GB DDR4/Logitech MX Master 2S/
I think if they updated the iTouch, a nice feature would be to include the camera since the device isn't just about music. My wife is using hers as a portable album so she can show everyone pictures of our grandson and our new puppy. She is not very technically oriented, so I have to do all the music and picture transfers for her. A camera function would simplify her life.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ibook g4, imac 2ghz c2d, mbp 2.4ghz c2d - 10.5.1
i would think the next update would be around Jan 08 - Macworld.

OP
A
Reaction score
I'm thinking that when Apple updates the iPhone- they'll A. give it a video camera (not just a pic camera) AND to compliment that- they'll upgrade the memory.

As for AT&Ts 3g network- why havent they pushed that?? And how is it up and coming if they don't have any 3g phones for it yet??

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminum iMac 2.8GHz
However, the ramp up of memory and features is going to come very slowly and incrementally only after Apple has sucked every drop of potential profit from each step, just like it did with the iPods the first time around.
Mmm. I really don't think they did that with the HDD-based iPods. Most of the releases were fairly cutting edge in terms of physical size/capacity. It's not like they could've just dropped in an 80gb hard drive on the 2G models.

At the time of release, 32gb flash drives are still much pricier than 8gb ones, so apple wouldn't eat that cost. They'll keep their profit margin nicely sized on each subsequent update, and the speed of technology pretty much dictates what you'll get for the same price in your next updated ipod.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Who says they have to eat the cost. They just offer them at a higher price. People have already shown their willing to pay up to $600 on these things, and probably more for more memory. Plus you know their making profit from the memory price premium their charging also. I seriously doubt the price difference between 4 and 8GB in memory or 8 and 16GB memory is actually $100 to Apple.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminum iMac 2.8GHz
I'm sure it's not but Apple's pricing is a key part of their marketing. They got away with the overpricing on the phone because it was new and they were new to the market. Until I see 32gb flash mp3 players standard at reasonable prices, I certainly wouldn't expect to see one from Apple.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.