• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

The Stock Thread (The FSX discussion thread)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
So I felt that we all could just discuss stocks and investments. Before we start I want to say that this is not an hear somebody say it here and then go out and buy it tomorrow, this is just for fun! (if you want to try out some of what you learn here do so, but on FSX not in the real world, unless you have more money then sense, or more trust then money...FSX: http://www.hedgestop.com/)

With that being said, I just purchased cytogen (cyto) its a company working on medication for sores in the mouth for people on cancer treatment. My dad is a dentist and prescribes the medication in his office and its working. The company is up for sale, so I am hoping to make a quick buck.

I feel like google and apple are both on their way down so I pulled all of my shares of that because I didn't want to loose too much money (again all fake).

So go sign up for a FSX account and start discussing stocks, what did you choose, an what wouldn't you touch with a ten foot pole. (FSX is free and also on facebook if you have that)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
C2D MacBook Pro
Google on its way down? Why do you think it will start falling? Google has an extremely strong business model. They are doing everything right. I would guess at another 50-100 points at least. Their new mobile phone platform is very promising.

Apple is iffy. They are certainly going strong. I would bet at it going up more before going down.

I will check out FSX. I'm fairly new to investing and college is preventing me from investing more, unfortunately. It may be fun.

Also, for people who want to get into investing, Zecco has extremely cheap trades (free if you have over $2000, $3.50 for less than that). It is also built around community, which is nice.

OP
PowerBookG4
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
Google dropped 10 points yesterday just after I got out of it, and its down 23 points today, I expect it to fall a little further before I buy it back again. I do think it will go back up, but I am playing a short term game not a long term actual investment with real money, other wise i'd probably ride out the storm on its way to 800, which I definitely think it will do before the end of the year.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
C2D MacBook Pro
Google dropped 10 points yesterday just after I got out of it, and its down 23 points today, I expect it to fall a little further before I buy it back again. I do think it will go back up, but I am playing a short term game not a long term actual investment with real money, other wise i'd probably ride out the storm on its way to 800, which I definitely think it will do before the end of the year.

Ah, yeahyeah. I was going to say how much I wish I had Google stock.

There was a great article on Google in Newsweek this week. http://www.newsweek.com/id/67919

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
C2D MacBook Pro
Oh, the problem with short-term is how unpredictable it is. I mean, those dips in Google are simply investors being skittish about the credit markets. It is fun with fake money, sure. But it is a terrible strategy with real money. You are always better off investing in the long run. You can still be risky, just do it in a smarter way.

I know you know this PB, it is for anyone else reading this slash interested in investing :p

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac 2.66 GHz... Running 10.5.7
Cool thread, I was gonna start one the other day. Just yesterday, actually, I bought# $310.00 worth of citigroup, getting 100 shares. I hope it goes up!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.