Help with Airport Card

F

funkdoobi

I just purchased an airport extreme card for my ibook.

I installed all necessesary apps for the airport card. Now when i go to the airport set up, it's tell me that i have no card installed, or it may be installed inproperly. I've taken it out, put it back in, made sure it's nice and snug and in there.

I KNOW it's connected. Just the ibook isn't reading it.

How can i get the blasted ibook to read the card as being installed? I'm still fairly new to mac so i'm stupid about it. Especially since it's 4:30 am and im exhausted and about to pass out on my keyboard.

Also i got a microsoft wireless router hooked up to a pc downstairs in case someone asks.

Help me please someone!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2.2Ghz SR MBP
hmm.. this is unlikely but maybe the card is a lemon. If you still have warranty on it or own AppleCare, I would have a Genius take a good look at it and your iBook. I mean that is the only thing i can think of.

OP
F

funkdoobi

could anyone else suggest something i may triy? :confused:

is there some way to scan for new hardware like in windows?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
Open the Apple System Profiler (Choose About This Mac from the Apple menu, then click on the "more info" button.

If it's working and installed correctly, the AirPort Extreme card should show up as a second Network card (Besides the built-in ethernet interface)

OP
F

funkdoobi

technologist said:
Open the Apple System Profiler (Choose About This Mac from the Apple menu, then click on the "more info" button.

If it's working and installed correctly, the AirPort Extreme card should show up as a second Network card (Besides the built-in ethernet interface)

no other network devices come up after doing what you told me to do. does that basically mean my card is defective? :(

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
Try reseating the card.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
funkdoobi said:
resetting the card?

if you mean taking it out and putting it back in. i've done that miltiple times =/

Just want to make sure the card is plugged in tight.

OP
M

MoltenLava

It might be a silly question, but you did turn off the computer while installing and reboot afterwards, right?

OP
M

MoltenLava

Ok, before ruling out the card to be defective, make sure the card is inserted *tight*. You don't want it there nice and snug. It will sort of *click* as you insert the card. You need to push it in a bit hard. When it's *not* inserted all the way, you'll be able to see top part of the connector through the opening of aluminum panel covering the laptop. Then you should push it in a bit more.

OP
F

funkdoobi

MoltenLava said:
Ok, before ruling out the card to be defective, make sure the card is inserted *tight*. You don't want it there nice and snug. It will sort of *click* as you insert the card. You need to push it in a bit hard. When it's *not* inserted all the way, you'll be able to see top part of the connector through the opening of aluminum panel covering the laptop. Then you should push it in a bit more.

I pushed it in, heard the click, plugged in the cable. Still wont go :(

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.