Converting to Mac questions

Reaction score
Ok, there are several parts to this so I wasn't sure where to ask it. If there is a more appropriate category please let me know (new to this forum).

So I'm finally switching to mac, I'm getting a macbook in a couple of weeks. I'm wondering about some of the products I have now though and how to transfer them as I will no longer have my windows machine on hand. I have read that I can upload all my itunes purchases to an external hard drive with a FAT 32 file system and the mac can read them.

Can anyone confirm this?

Will there be any trouble getting the files to work on the Mac due to the anti-piracy system that itunes uses?

Can I convert my iPod to work on the mac even though it is now formatted and originally registered on windows?

Can I convert my iPhone to work on the mac even though I registered it with windows?

Any help that could be offered would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
Ok, there are several parts to this so I wasn't sure where to ask it. If there is a more appropriate category please let me know (new to this forum).

So I'm finally switching to mac, I'm getting a macbook in a couple of weeks. I'm wondering about some of the products I have now though and how to transfer them as I will no longer have my windows machine on hand. I have read that I can upload all my itunes purchases to an external hard drive with a FAT 32 file system and the mac can read them.

Can anyone confirm this?

Will there be any trouble getting the files to work on the Mac due to the anti-piracy system that itunes uses?

Can I convert my iPod to work on the mac even though it is now formatted and originally registered on windows?

Can I convert my iPhone to work on the mac even though I registered it with windows?

Any help that could be offered would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

1/ Yes, you can copy your full iTunes directory to a FAT32 hard drive, and then read it onto your Mac from there. This is exactly what I did when I switched. Be sure to REPLACE the iTunes folder on your Mac with the version from your PC. When you first start iTunes after this, it will rumble around for a bit, figuring everything out, but after that it will be fine.

2/ There will be no trouble getting an iTunes library that worked on a PC to work on a Mac.

3/ There will be no troubles with your iPod working on a Mac iTunes despite having started life on a PC. Again, this is exactly what I did when I switched.

4/ Can't comment on the iPhone - mine started life on my Mac, so I can't say.

Hope this helps.

OP
D
Reaction score
Thanks! One thing I'm wondering about.... When you say "replace the itunes folder" do you mean copy the entire music library to the mac? I don't think my mac hard drive would be capable of that.
Thanks again

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Pro, 10 Core 3 GHz Intel Xeon W, 64 GB RAM, 2 TB HD, Vega 64 GPU
If I may add some things...

As mac57 stated, there should not be any issues. I would recommend, after transferring your files, that you go into iTunes on your former computer and Deauthorize your old computer. You can find this option under Store>Deauthorize Computer.

Again, mac57 is right here in that you can do this. After connecting your iPod, it should appear in iTunes. I believe you'll have to use the restore function and format it for Mac.

The iPhone will also work with your Mac. However, unlike the iPod, the iPhone will NOT need to be reformatted. It should just run. However, when syncing your iPhone for the first time, make sure you choose "Merge Info" as this will copy all the information on your phone over to your new computer.

Hope that helps you out!

Sean

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.