Upgrading my iMac G3 for DVD movies

C

Claraboya

Hi, I have an iMac G3/350MHz (M7667D/A) 64 MB, 512 k, 7GB, 8MB SGRAM, CD 56 K, (no DVD-Rom) and I'd love to watch DVD movies, I have no idea what to do, how much I'd need to invest, I'd really appreciate ideas, comments, information, everything you more experienced Mac users have to say.

OP
M

MoltenLava

The easiest solution is to get an external DVD drive, or preferably DVD burner if your budget allows.

There is a way to replace internal drive, but it's not for light hearted. iMac is not designed to be expanded that way. I have an eMac, and in order to replace its drive I need to open the case, remove the speakers, remove the heat shields, remove the heat sink, remove the motherboard, remove the drive assembly, then I can see where the optical drive is. I don't expect iMac is much more easier.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2.2Ghz SR MBP
there are someplaces that do sell DVD players for iMacs and will even install them for you i think. The place is techwarehousellc or something like that. They also sell G4 upgrades for the iMac.

OP
B

Badger

Check this link to MCE: http://www.mcetech.com/dvdrwimacsl.html. Listed price is $350 US$. While replacing a drive in an iMac is not as simple as other macs, it can be done if you procede carefully. MCE provides clear, step-by-step instructions. I replaced the CD reader in my tray-loading (333mhz) with an MCE CD-RW two years ago and have never had a problem. 64 mg of RAM is barely adequate, you should also upgrade the RAM to 256 mg or higher if you can afford it.
If you want to get a preview of the work involved to open up an iMac you can download an Apple service manual for your model at: http://home.earthlink.net/~strahm_s/manuals.html.
I'm not sure what current RAM prices are but the entire upgrade should be around $500 to $550 total.
Badger

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.