Not since COBOL

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
I have not gotten into any programming besides learning a little COBOL about 40 years ago. And don't ask me a question about it. Had to do a search to even remember the name of what it was I learned back then.

I don't really want to get into it now. But, there is one app that I really can't do without on my MBP. That is Lab Tick. Don't think the developer is still working on it. And I only want to learn enough to do one thing - change it's appearance in the menu bar so that it looks like all the others instead of the solid white it currently has. Have lived with it for months now. And if I have to live with it, to keep it, I will.

But figured some of you could point me in a direction as to what language and where to start in order to learn enough for this. It'd be worth a good 80-100 hrs of my time to be able to change this since I am sure I'll be looking at that thing up there for quite some time. If this is something probably not learned and I would be able to do in that amount of time, feel free to tell me that also.

Thanks

Picture 1.png

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Just edit the png file of the status icon so that is has a transparent background.

The file is: "Tick.app/Contents/Resources/LabTickRegularStatusBarImage.png"

Open it in your image editor of choice, alter it, replace the old image and you should be good to go!

Disclaimer: I haven't tested this.. but if it works you owe me 50hrs worth of work - I'll give you the other 50hrs for free;).

OP
bobtomay

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Guess I owe ya...
It was even easier than that.
Once I got in there, it had a file called "LabTickAlternateStatusBarImage.png".
Just renamed it Regular and named the regular one Alternate and voila.
Thanks Apt. Have never really explored the contents of any of the packages.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.