Leopard? What's so great?

Reaction score
Probably going to upset alot of people here, but what exactly does Leopard really do better? Its taken up nearly 4gb of my precious hard drive space, cost me money, gave me a big head ache with a blue screen and the only thing that I can see is really useful is the Spaces thing.

Am i missing something?

Please let me know. and is there anything I can do to get my hard drive empty again?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Core 2 Duo 2.13GHz / 4 GB RAM / 320 GB HDD
To each his own. I haven't had much of a problem with Leopard and everything seems to run snappier so I'm actually quite happy with it. If you feel that Leopard isn't doing it for you then just reinstall Tiger. I'm not sure what this thread is going to accomplish and posting the same thing twice doesn't make much sense.

If by making your hard drive "empty again" you mean reverting back to Tiger, just boot from your Tiger disc and do an erase and install.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP C2D, 1 GB ram, 120GB HD
i benefited from a few of the features (spaces, time machine, parental controls), however i will say that i did not NEED to upgrade. i do wish that i had held off a few months, however, as i had the blue screen issue also and ended up loosing all my information and a few other bugs have come up. but overall i'm happy.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
Spaces, Time Machine, Finder (quicklook and cover flow). There are several other features others will find helpful to them, but these are what I find very useful and helpful.

If you don't see anything you like in Leopard, then you shouldn't have bothered upgrading or posting this thread.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac 2.8 Ghz 4GB RAM OS X 10.5.1
I use spaces a lot, especially when I run VMWare Fusion in full screen. Quick Look is great. Just got an external drive for Time Machine now. I do like coverflow.

If you didn't know the difference between Leopard and Tiger, why did you buy it and install it?

Would recommend for others to keep Tiger if you only have 1 Mac, and it's your main computer.

There are some kinks that need to be ironed out. Definitely can't wait for 10.5.1 to come out soon.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
rMBP (Mid-2015), 2.8 Ghz i7, 16GB DDR3, AMD M370X Gfx, 1 TB SSD
I have a couple of questions.

Does the "time machine" require an external HD, or can it do its thing on a separate internal HD as well?

@Deasay: Why would you recommend sticking with Tiger for those of us with 1 mac as our primary? I'm still on the fence, could go either way...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac 2.8 Ghz 4GB RAM OS X 10.5.1
Why would you recommend sticking with Tiger for those of us with 1 mac as our primary? I'm still on the fence, could go either way...

I would recommend this because not all applications are compatible with Leopard, yet. Also, many functions are not as smooth as they are in Tiger. There are still some hiccups and kinks to be worked out.

I personally like Leopard, but there is definitely room for improvement.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2014 MacBook Pro, i7 2.5Ghz, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 6
Posts like this really annoy me. Didn't you do any research before upgrading?

When you buy a new TV, do you say 'well it's a bit shinier and seems to have more buttons, but why did I pay for this?'

As you're clearly too lazy to do this yourself, here are the 'highlights' for the Leopards upgrade

- Many back end improvements, better thread handling, multitasking, developer tool are improved and coding should be easier. What does this mean for you, better applications, quicker development time and fewer application bugs and slowdowns in future

- New interface features. Stacks, quick view, cover flow in finder. Improved finder, improved quick search

- Improved Mail, Calendar and addressbook. Too many features to mention

- Time machine, allows newbies to back-up effectively and easily

- New APIs, core Animation and Quartz GL (previously Quartz Extreme). Means animation is part of Cocoa, better integration of animation into the Core OS, nicer looking apps, less CPU useage on animation as work is offloaded to GPU, meaning newer macs run much faster

That's it off the top of my head. You decide whether it's worth $129 or not.

Reaction score
I don't see what's wrong with posting one's disappointment.Someone out there might be wondering whether to invest in Leopard and they need to get the full picture.
I bought it for Time Machine,Parental Controls,Quick Look and Screen Sharing mainly.
Time Machine destroyed my external HD,first time out.I'm not alone.There are lots of people posting this same news all over the web.If not destroyed,then certainly not working for many more people.
Parental Controls is pretty useless.It blocks almost every website there is including Google,Yahoo etc.
Quick Look is great,and so is Spaces.And the Cover Flow is a hit here too.
Screen Sharing is OK but it hasn't worked properly on my network-I can't actually transfer files any more.
Similarly I can no longer Network print with Leopard.Once again,look around and you'll see that hundreds of people are having printing issues with Leopard.
And plenty of Applications are broken too.There's a huge list on MacFixit.
All in all it looks from here like a rush job in time for Xmas.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2014 MacBook Pro, i7 2.5Ghz, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 6
I don't see what's wrong with posting one's disappointment.Someone out there might be wondering whether to invest in Leopard and they need to get the full picture.

Reading the original post does not give you a full picture of anything, it tells you the user rushed out abd bought the latest thing, and now cannot figure out what extra value it gives him/her.

I think the way things are framed give a great deal away about the real intemtions of a poster.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I have none of the above issues on now 4 Macs. Family Pack.

Screen Sharing here in fact works better than Remote Desktop did with Tiger.

Only issues here are some plugins and little apps that need to be updated for Leopard. MOST that I use have been upgraded already. No one mentions all the changes to the Core of the OS. They just say Leopard is Time Machine, Spaces, ETC. There is a LOT more under the hood changes and some very intense.

Reaction score
I didn't jump into buying Leopard for all the reasons I have been reading about. Some folks are more willing to be first and suffer through the initial problems. I don't have time for that.

After reading so much about the problems I think a good time to buy Leopard would be in May '08. But that's just me. I don't begrudge the beta crowd one bit. Apple will still take my money in May, right?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 20" core duo 2ghz; OS-X 10.4.7; 2gbram; 256mb graphics; 250gbHD; delivered 6/14/06
I'm with Zanthe. Have one machine. Want Leopard features but have been trouble-free with Tiger for 17 months since switching. MS made me nuts with their buggy new offerings. Do not want that experience again. Willing to wait. Happy to learn opinions of early Leopard adopters but can't afford to risk joining them.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.