Installing leopard on g4 powerbook

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.0ghz 3gb Ram C2D Black Macbook
Hi, I bought a Leopard family pack and am attempting to install it on my brothers powerbook g4 1.5ghz and when i put the disc in it just makes some noise and spits the disc back out? Any ideas?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
That sounds like more of a hardware issue.
Does the drive accept other discs?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac 2.8 GHZ/2GB/320GB/Leopard
I installed Leopard on my G4 powerbook 1.33ghz and everything went fine. No issues. I had the spitting out on my mac mini though. I eventually got it to go after a couple times...

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
What DB said and also check your Leopard DVD and see if maybe it got some fingerprints from handling it that are affecting the DVD drive in the Powerbook from reading it. I would think a 1.5Ghz Power Book would have at least a Combo Drive that reads DVD's. Try other DVD's and CD's in the drive like was suggested.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
If the drive is really broken, you can also put the DVD in your Macbook's drive, connect the two via a firewire cable, put yours in Firewire target mode (Hold 'T' at startup) and he can install it off of your DVD drive.

OP
nick/chuck
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.0ghz 3gb Ram C2D Black Macbook
I think i'm gonna try it in target mode, still having problems with it spitting out the leopard disc, but not others... Gonna try the target mode and then maybe bring it to an apple store just in case. Thanks everybody.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
I think i'm gonna try it in target mode, still having problems with it spitting out the leopard disc, but not others... Gonna try the target mode and then maybe bring it to an apple store just in case. Thanks everybody.
Just remember to hold down the option key for quite a while on his machine until it recognizes your Macbook's DVD drive...

Reaction score
powerbook G4 17" s-video and leopard

I installed Leopard on my G4 powerbook 1.33ghz and everything went fine. No issues. I had the spitting out on my mac mini though. I eventually got it to go after a couple times...

powerbook G4 17" 1 GHz: I also had to try a few times to get the DVD to boot; the option key at startup would probably help. The only problem I have found with Leopard is when using the s-video out to a TV monitor. The powerbook can't activate or correctly auto detect the external monitor on the fly. Having the s-video connected at boot time does work, but zapping pram didn't fix the problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.