Mail : Importing entire server of emails. Can it be stopped?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook G3 - You'll be missed.
Hey everyone,

I feel like such a goof, but I can't find the answer. I've searched the forums several times and couldn't find the answer. Someone else will probably find it right away.

I'm having a little problem with mail 3.0 (leopard) I finally decided to try to use mail again. I didn't really use it much in the previous versions of OS X. I'm really enjoying allot of the new features in the current version of mail, it makes me want to use it more. I figured, it might make my productivity go up as well since I won't be constantly checking the web browser for mail.

Anyways.

The problem is : Mail wants to import the entire contents of the mail server. I'm connecting with a yahoo account. I have 2 accounts set up so far. The first one is my gmail account, the other is the yahoo account. I set up gmail and it wanted to import everything as well, somehow I stopped it and got it to where it would download just what was new. I don't know how I did it, and I can't seem to do it for the yahoo account.

Does anyone know how I can make the yahoo account stop downloading all of the e-mail and just start from whats new. It's trying to import over 2000 messages and I don't want all of it in my mail app. I just want it to be fresh and clean. If there is a way to do it please let me know. I'm sure there is, but I can't do it.

I remember having this issue back in tiger probably even panther, I think that is one of the reasons why I didn't want to use it as much as just using the web interface.

Reaction score
I don't have Yahoo Mail Plus, so I can't check what options it gives your for POP. I assume you are d/l'ing your e-mail through POP3. Is there an option to "Download from this time forward" or something like that?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
I know that Gmail has that option, so it's possible yahoo does too!
Or forward yahoo mail to gmail and do it that way.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.