Having connection issues.

Reaction score
Hey, I just got my iMac and I'm having some internet connection issues. I'm using an ethernet cable connected to a modem. It works pefectly on my PC. However, when I disconnect it and connect it to my iMac, it doesn't allow me to get an internet connection. However, in System preferences, under networks, it says it is connected. It is DHCP (sp?) and it own't allow me to send my registration either and tells me I cannot connect to the internet. This is frustrating, my first iMac did not have this problem, help?

I have made sure the cable is connected on both ends and restarted the iMac and restarted the modem. No luck...

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Hey, I just got my iMac and I'm having some internet connection issues. I'm using an ethernet cable connected to a modem. It works pefectly on my PC. However, when I disconnect it and connect it to my iMac, it doesn't allow me to get an internet connection. However, in System preferences, under networks, it says it is connected. It is DHCP (sp?) and it own't allow me to send my registration either and tells me I cannot connect to the internet. This is frustrating, my first iMac did not have this problem, help?

Start with your iMac connected via the Ethernet connection. Leave it turned off for now. Unplug the power to your modem. Plug it back in and let it initialize for 1 minute. Now, boot up the iMac and tell me what happens...

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OP
I
Reaction score
Haha, I won't now.

Another question though. Will unplugging and replugging the ethernet chord everyday somehow ruin the ethernet port or how it works? Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i7, MBP 2.2GHz, Hackintosh (retired)
Why don't you purchase an inexpensive router? Then you wouldn't have to keep connecting and disconnecting each machine. I'm guessing your iMac has an airport card built in and in that case get a wireless router then you could put the iMac anywhere within wireless range.

OP
I
Reaction score
I plan on it next pay day, but for the meantime, will it damage my ethernet port or the internet connection?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I plan on it next pay day, but for the meantime, will it damage my ethernet port or the internet connection?

No, it should be fine in the short-term. In the long-term, it may add wear to the plastics. If you need to share a single Internet connection amongst several machines, definitely get a router.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.