How do I copy a DVD?

M

MickMAC

I want to make a copy of some of my dvds to my hard drive so I can watch them later or when I am on the road without having the dvd along, I did a forum search but they all said how to copy from a dvd to a dvd, I want to be able to watch right from the hard drive!

Thanks

OP
M

menace3054

each dvd is going to be around 5 gb so i dont know why exactly you would want to do that... but.. you would just need a ripper and copy the movie file to the hd. try using "dvd backup", you can get it from versiontracker.com

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 2.6ghz Quad Xeon, 23" Cinema
download from usenet, mount the .img

if anyone know hows to convert the dvd files into .img that'd be wonderful

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro & 23" ACD
usenet? Can you please elaborate?

OP
J

jwindhall

ApplejustWorks said:
usenet? Can you please elaborate?

Zip over to versiontracker.com and run a search for 'DVD ripper' , it'll yield a few. I've heard "hand brake" (i think that is what is called) is ap

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 2.6ghz Quad Xeon, 23" Cinema
on usenet you usually have to either have an isp that has good retention (i.e does not delete week-old posts) or pay a minute monthly charge from a place like www.usenetserver.com . You can find lots of stuff in binary groups such as movies that you own to back up but you can't backup yourself. ;) alt.binaries.dvd is a start. The easiest reader I've found is hogwasher but that has a 60 day trial. I prefer to still use my PC for newsgroup activity, it's ten times easier on PC than mac (one of the very few things my PC is better at than my new mac book....that and doom 3).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2.2Ghz SR MBP
The eaisest way to do it is to make a disk image of the disk. It will let you. There are only a few that acutally make the computer say, "This disk has copyright protection." There you go. Done. I would suggest to get a portable, one of those small LaCie Databank HDs so you can put your DVDs on that. Thats is what I did.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24" 2.66 C2D, 13" MacBook i7 2.9GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 4
beret9987 said:
The eaisest way to do it is to make a disk image of the disk. It will let you.

I tried making a disc image, but it didn't work at all for me. Use DVD Backup 1.3, and then use DVD Remaster to compress it. A 7.4GB dual layer disc copied to the HD will compress down to about 4.4 GB, and the quality is still excellent. Just open DVD Player, and select File > Open VIDEO_TS folder and browse to it on your HD.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.