Problem installing Leopard...flashing finder icon and question mark

Reaction score
i am trying to install leopard on my 15" powerbook and when i either click the restart button from the install screen or just restart and hold the "c" key to boot from cd.. a light blue screen comes up and flashes back and forth between the finder icon and a question mark.. after it does that for a little it just continues to the normal login screen...i have no idea what this means or what the problem is that it wont start the install process..please help out....thank you

M

MacHeadCase

Have you made sure our PowerBook meets Leopard's minimal requirements?

The flashing folder/question mark icon means the Mac cannot find a valid system to boot from. Which install method did you use? Looks like you will have to reinstall again: you would be better off to use the Erase and Install method.

I hope for you you have made a backup of your personal files...

OP
A
Reaction score
hey thanks for responding to my post......yes my powerbook meets the minimal requirements...its the 15" powerbook g4 1.67 Ghz with 1gb of RAM......... i didnt even get that far yet to choose which install i want to do.....when the disk is in and i click it and the window opens i click install mac os x and then it says click restart to begin installation. then when it restarts nothing happens and it starts up normally....or when i restart to try and boot from the cd by hold the "c" key thats when the flashing finder icon and question mark appears

M

MacHeadCase

Are you using a full retail install disk? My first thought is that you might be trying to use an upgrade disk for an Intel-based Mac?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.