OS 8.6 - USB drives - Data transfer

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27", 3.1 GHz Intel Core i5, MacBook Pro 15", 2GHz 8GB 500GB, iPhone 4s
I have an old 'PowerComputing" Mac, running OS 8.6, that has some business data on it. I want to transfer this data but the system does not recognize USB drives.

The computer is not on the internet. I can write to floppy disks but then my iMac at home can't read those.

I would appreciate any suggestions on how to get my data out.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 15.4", Core Duo 2.16ghz, 2gig of RAM
You can get an external USB floppy drive for your iMac and just transfer that way. That seems like the most practical solution that I can think of at the moment unless there is a way to make OS 8.6 work with USB hot-plug devices.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
I have an old 'PowerComputing" Mac, running OS 8.6, that has some business data on it. I want to transfer this data but the system does not recognize USB drives.
This update should allow that Mac to access USB mass storage devices.
http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=31132

Of course, you need a USB PCI adapter card, which I'm assuming you have. (Otherwise, your problem would be "the system does not have any USB ports." :) )

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27", 3.1 GHz Intel Core i5, MacBook Pro 15", 2GHz 8GB 500GB, iPhone 4s
Thanks Guys

Thanks to both voided3 and technologist for your replies.

I guess, before I buy a floppy drive for a one-time use, I'll try the software update first. I do have an aftermarket USB card and it works well with the USB printer.

Will let you know how it turns out.

Regards, Dicoll

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.